Cowser Vs Kjerstad

Sports Guy

Who would you keep?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. If you had your choice, which player would you prefer to keep?

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m giving the edge to Kjerstad but I think it’s close.

I went with Cowser because I think the better running, plate discipline, and corner OF defense make him a better total package, but I could see why you (or anyone else) would give the edge to Kjerstad because, like you said, it is close.

1 minute ago, Sydnor said:

I went with Cowser because I think the better running, plate discipline, and corner OF defense make him a better total package, but I could see why you (or anyone else) would give the edge to Kjerstad because, like you said, it is close.

I’m not sure Cowser runs better.

I can see the argument that Cowser is more of the total package but that may be underselling Kjerstad’s hit tool if you say that.

Just now, Sydnor said:

I agree with this - even if he’s not a CF, Cowser is going to have a lot more defensive value and even if the power never comes through, a lot of offensive value via his OBP. 

However, I’m very excited by Kjerstad’s combination of huge power and potentially much better than originally advertised contact skill. He could be a 30+ HR, <20% K rate, high BABIP guy with still a decent amount of BBs, and that’s a really rare bat. Not many at all in MLB as a whole and there isn’t another player in the Orioles’ system, MLB or MiL, that profiles to potentially check all of those boxes.  Both, along with Mayo, are pretty much untouchable for me. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure Cowser runs better.

I can see the argument that Cowser is more of the total package but that may be underselling Kjerstad’s hit tool if you say that.

From the limited times I’ve seen Kjerstad running the bases I agree he looks much faster than what he’s been billed as. And Cowser a bit slower, but he’s definitely not slow. So you may be right and it’s close or a smaller edge for Cowser. 

Kjerstad also has the arm for RF so I haven’t given up on him being average or better there, and if he is then he’s more valuable than Cowser. 

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If a player/return we want is there and the other team says, you can choose whichever one of Kjerstad or Cowser you want to trade for the player, which one are you trading?

In other words, who would you rather see the Os keep if you could only choose one of them?

Great question! I was just talking to my brother yesterday about that.  It is soooo very close.

Kjerstad (Age: 24-157d) is just a bit over a year older, but I'd choose him over Cowser.  Kjerstad provides a quality batting average, power, and gets on base very well. It's the power that makes the difference for me. It's hard to say what sort of defender Kjerstad is/will be, but even if he's an average RF/1B, HK by a nose.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Great question! I was just talking to my brother yesterday about that.  It is soooo very close.

Kjerstad (Age: 24-157d) is just a bit over a year older, but I'd choose him over Cowser.  Kjerstad provides a quality batting average, power, and gets on base very well. It's the power that makes the difference for me. It's hard to say what sort of defender Kjerstad is/will be, but even if he's an average RF/1B, HK by a nose.

The age difference is a good point and one that I honestly had not considered.

BTW, this is a real conversation that they could be having with Seattle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Heck, I may switch to Cowser tomorrow, by a nose... it really is super tight, a virtual coinflip. 

I imagine a future where we trade Hays and/or Santander, and have Kjerstad and Mayo at 1B/RF (with Cowser in LF) but feel there's a chance we will deal one of those two to acquire pitching.  Whether that's Seattle, the White Sox, or whomever else, time will tell.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

From the limited times I’ve seen Kjerstad running the bases I agree he looks much faster than what he’s been billed as. And Cowser a bit slower, but he’s definitely not slow. So you may be right and it’s close or a smaller edge for Cowser. 

Kjerstad also has the arm for RF so I haven’t given up on him being average or better there, and if he is then he’s more valuable than Cowser. 

I think maybe there's some redundancy with Kjerstad & Mayo... and between the two, I'd obviously prefer Mayo. 

So I went with Cowser. Obviously a lot of it depends on who's comin' back 🤨

Edited by Hank Scorpio

Seems like Kjerstad has been more consistent throughout his minors career. Cowser has hit great in AAA this year but was more mediocre last year and has gone up and down in the rankings, whereas since recovery from myocarditis Kjerstad's stock has been going straight up. Cowser is probably better defender but still not a CF.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A year older, but lost two years of development, so I highly suspect HK would already be in Baltimore by now, and likely a regular.

Edited by Greg Pappas

To answer the question, it depends on the return of the player we are getting in the proposed trade. If we are giving up either player it better be for a bona field TOR starter who will be on the team beyond this year preferable at least 2 and 1/2 years since we will be giving up 6+ years of control of a top level prospect.

I think the question is slightly unfair because we have a data point (no matter how limited) related to Cowser that we don’t have concerning Kjerstad. What if Cowser had come up and crushed it immediately or what if Kjerstad gets off to an equally rough start? Will we feel the same?

Without the benefit of the information concerning what Kjerstad will look like against Major League competition, I would probably lean his direction because of how special the bat appears to be and has been described. In other words, even though I would hate to lose a promising young OF like Cowser, I feel we have hitters of similar potential and profile. I’m not sure we have any (maybe Mayo?) like Kjerstad. He has the potential to be the best hitter on the team/in the org. That’s a skill that I would prefer to keep.

• Like 1