Treasurer of Maryland calls out the Orioles lease negotiations

Going Underground

Davis, who has previously been critical of the stadium authority’s dealings with Baltimore’s pro teams, stressed that although the negotiation is private, it concerns public dollars since the stadium authority will finance state-funded improvements to the ballpark once a long-term lease is signed.

“At a certain point, it certainly appears to me that they are at an impasse,” Davis said. “At the very least, let’s put a little sunshine on what’s going on.”

Governor Moore is committed to finalizing an agreement with the Baltimore Orioles and bringing it before the Board of Public Works for approval as quickly as possible,” Carter Elliott, Moore’s spokesperson, stated.

Stadium authority chair Thompson declined to comment Wednesday, referring to last week’s statement. The Orioles referred questions to a spokesperson for Angelos, who declined to comment.

22 minutes ago, waroriole said:

MLB just needs to take over the team and find a buyer who will invest in them and keep them in Baltimore. Enough of John I can’t pass the bar exam Angelos. 

The only way I see MLB forcing a sale of the team is when Peter Angelos passes away otherwise it’s going to take some serious scandals to get the team sold soon. 

It would be nice to get a new owner who prioritizes locking up the Orioles young talent to early contract extensions. 

How to put a damper on a great season. Since a lot of public money is involved, it would be nice to know what the hold-up is. The Orioles are winning, attendance is up, the Oriloles have a first rate system - and this just craps the bed. It's like The Family just can't get out of its own way. Open books - NOT. Lease by All Star Game - Not! Need someone in the media to do an in depth on this situation for the Fans and the Taxpayers. Don't complain much but this pi---- me off! 

• Upvote 1

I agree that this is disconcerning but I doubt anything has changed since last week.  This sounds like a politician who isn't involved in any of this just stirring some stuff in the media.  Baseball isn't going to allow the Orioles to move with $600 million on the table and OPACY as their ballpark.  Angelos only has so much leverage.  Baseball can't force a sale as long as Peter is still alive.  It is safe to say though John Angelos will never own the Orioles.  

13 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I agree that this is disconcerning but I doubt anything has changed since last week.  This sounds like a politician who isn't involved in any of this just stirring some stuff in the media.  Baseball isn't going to allow the Orioles to move with $600 million on the table and OPACY as their ballpark.  Angelos only has so much leverage.  Baseball can't force a sale as long as Peter is still alive.  It is safe to say though John Angelos will never own the Orioles.  

I respectfully disagree. I think John will own the Orioles for a very long time.

They are not going anywhere  But don't like the MSA ,a Marykand quasi government agency when asked how things are going refers to a very nothing burger of a statement  by Angelos and Moore  If they signed early perhaps they would have got a better interest rate because cant be financed with all bonds. Too many no comments from people who should report to the public  Sad.

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I respectfully disagree. I think John will own the Orioles for a very long time.

You realize he doesn't own them now.  Where is he going to get the $2 billion to buy them from his father's estate?  Once Peter passes then it will be up to baseball to approve who buys them from the estate.  His mother already on record she wants to sell the team.  I doubt baseball will approve him or anyone else named Angelos to buy the Orioles.  

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

MLB just needs to take over the team and find a buyer who will invest in them and keep them in Baltimore. Enough of John I can’t pass the bar exam Angelos. 

As much as a dislike Peter Angelos and do not care for John Angelos.......I will say he is the man who picked Elias and let that dude run the show.  For that alone I will never hate John.  I do still want the family to sell the team.  Maybe to the guy who created Under Armor....or some very rich Billionaire that wants to win bad for his ego.   

I keep wondering about this because the clock is ticking and Angelos has been quiet like he's hiding something.

It all gives me a bad feeling like he's trying to manipulate us all.

If he really wanted to stay in Baltimore (and his own brother said he didn't), this would have been done aong time ago and not keep getting push to the deadline date when the lease expires. 

It all just reeks of a sleezy vibe.