Os acquiring Fujinami for Easton Lucas

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He came over as seven pitch starter but clearly his best role was paring those pitches down to his fastball, splitter combo where he's had success. 

It's a low spin rate fastball but because of the velocity he still garners decent swing and miss. 

He's certainly worth a look and certainly worth sending Easton Lucus over even though Lucas has taken  step forward this year reaching as high as 96 on his fastball from the leftside. Lucas' slider was inconsistent though, but outside of some tough outings in June, he's been pretty good. 

Saying that, he still wasn't a top 30 prospect for me so he's definitely worth a guy who has pitched pretty well since getting used to relieving and especially well in June.

I'll take him over a Bazardo or Gillaspie anyday and he has the upside of being that 3rd reliever they need. I still think the O's will do more to sure up the bullpen though.

Fuji is a nice arm to pick up for this series, and to give us a boost until the deadline. Helpfully, he’s more. A move needed to be made with Columbe going 2.1 IP today. 

If people don’t like giving up Lucas, they really aren’t going to like the price for a reliever like Hicks, or Robertson. I still think Robertson is a good fit for us. 

Overall, Fuji is a nice pickup for this series, and can hopefully give us a fresh arm till the deadline. He could be the replacement for Perez long term. Robertson should be our vet reliever target. 

The pen is gassed. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have one more thing to say about this trade: it involves players that were never once discussed in the dozens of trade threads over the last two months.  And with Elias, that’s pretty much always been the case.  

I almost posted this exact trade in the Trade Ideas thread.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have one more thing to say about this trade: it involves players that were never once discussed in the dozens of trade threads over the last two months.  And with Elias, that’s pretty much always been the case.  

I never heard anyone say, "I can't wait until Easton Lucas gets the call. He's definitely pushing for promotion."

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I've learned poking around last few minutes that I guess in the Japanese draft's 1st round, several Clubs can pick the same Player and then there's a lottery to determine who truly gets rights.

Here's his 2012 draft year....four of the 12 Clubs thought Shintaro Fujinami 4.12.1994 was worth trying for.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/2012_NPB_Amateur_Draft

Nippon Ham zigged when a lot of the league zagged and alone chose Shohei Ohtani 7.5.1994.

Any idea how often a scenario like occurs?  That’s pretty wild.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sorry if this has been answered, and would appreciate clarification, but is Fuji a straight FA next year, or do we have the option of offering him Arb? 

Rep coming to whoever answers. Thanks !!!

It’s been answered.  He’s a free agent after this season. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe its just as simple as sorting the table by ERA minus FIP.     Here's MLB Arms with 30 IP this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=30&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=19,d

Mike Elias can "buy low" because these high ERA pitchers are "bad".

For the 2022 season, Kyle Gibson was 2nd of 45 qualified pitchers in unflattering ERA differential.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I meant do the A's have any other players worth getting?

Nope. I just looked at the A's Baseball Reference page and their roster is awful as you would expect for a team on pace to win 43 games. Even the 2018 Orioles had some decent useful parts as trade bait.

This A's team is really, really awful. Maybe JP Sears, but he's more like a 4/5 starter.

Even with the very low spin rate FB this guy has an incredible arm. RP in the upper 90s may be commonplace nowadays, but 102 and a mid-90s split are not. He’s also 6’6” with 84th percentile extension, so that with the 100+ mph velo and 2nd percentile spin rate is an extremely unique FB look out of the pen.

Love the deal, we got him essentially just by taking on his (modest) salary. Lucas wasn’t going to crack our 40-man and Fuji is 100% worth it for the upside he brings. Bodes well for the flexibility to add payroll at the deadline too if they’re willing to spend some of it here. 

• Upvote 2