Os acquiring Fujinami for Easton Lucas

Sports Guy

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I’m guessing he gets one more shot to right the ship.

I agree, this is his last audition before the trade deadline. And with what Vespi did the other day, and another high octane arm in the fold, it's getting pretty easy to hit that DFA button. 

You can't always calculate how going from the worst team in the game to the best record in the AL is going to get a dudes adrenaline pumping. These are all competitors of the highest degree, but you have to assume a human element of his own responsibility to get outs for a team that needs them vs. a team (owner) that clearly doesn't GAF.

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

If I am not mistaken, we would lose Lucas anyway this year in the Rule 5 draft- he'd be eligible to be taken and probably we have 40 other guys we'd need to protect.  Lots of teams would be willing to take a shot at a Lefty reliever with a 95 MPH fastball in the rule 5 draft.

So we get a 2 month rental of a potential quality back end reliever for a guy who'd likely be gone anyway...

I don’t know how likely it is that he’d have been picked up.  He was left unprotected last offseason and nobody took him. He’s had a good year and reached AAA so maybe he’d be more attractive this time around.  And of course, if he’s chosen, he still has to stick.  

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Through June 2: 12.19 ERA, 6.04 FIP, 1.97 WHiP, 7.0 BB/9.

Since June 2: 2.45 ERA, 3.08 FIP, 1.15 WHIP, 2.9 BB/9.

I’d say he’s figured some things out.  Put him with the O’s analytics department and coaching staff, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a good contributor down the stretch.  

He figured some things out and it looks like the A's did as well by reducing the length of his appearances.  He's been far more effective in a 1-inning role.

He's a 29-year-old rookie and a UFA after the 2023 season per Spotrac, so I assume that was part of his deal with the A's to be able to test free agency after 1 year.  Elias did a good job of finding a motivated seller and the A's were looking to dump a little over $1M in salary yet to be paid in 2023 in exchange for a non-top-30 prospect.

I'm with you @Frobby, I think he'll be relied on and has a high upside for the stretch and I'd be happy if the Orioles made another similar deal for a LHP.

LHP the Orioles have within the organization that they can make decisions about before the trade deadline inlcude...

Perez

Akin

Hernandez

It's possible any one of them can find themselves, but Perez and Akin have had plenty of chances this season and have be even less than inconsistent. Akin had a couple very good encouraging high leverage performances, but he's also had some stinkers as well.

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

If we got an established LHP I'd really like our rounded out bullpen. Maybe Raley from NYM or Suter from COL

Bautista

Cano

Raley/Suter

Fujinami

Coulombe

Baker

Irvin

Brent Suter is  33-year-old, 2-month rental with a $3M contract this season.  I think he should come at a similar price to Fujinami in terms of talent exchanged.  Raley is a 35-year old with a club option year in 2024 (approx $5M).  The Mets might expect a little something for him (maybe 1 prospect in the 20s such as Ardoin, Young, or Tavera), but he should not break the prospect bank either.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

LHP the Orioles have within the organization that they can make decisions about before the trade deadline inlcude...

Perez

Akin

Hernandez

It's possible any one of them can find themselves, but Perez and Akin have had plenty of chances this season and have be even less than inconsistent. Akin had a couple very good encouraging high leverage performances, but he's also had some stinkers as well.

I might add Hall to this list if he ever escapes Sarasota. Rom could maybe be used in the bullpen, he's had good strikeout numbers of late. But yeah that's about it. 

Re: Akin, imagine how much better this bullpen would have been this year if he just repeated his success from last year. So many 2-inning appearances where he just shut teams down. That's kind of exactly what we've been missing out of the 'pen this year. An odd lost year for him. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

I might add Hall to this list if he ever escapes Sarasota. Rom could maybe be used in the bullpen, he's had good strikeout numbers of late. But yeah that's about it. 

Re: Akin, imagine how much better this bullpen would have been this year if he just repeated his success from last year. So many 2-inning appearances where he just shut teams down. That's kind of exactly what we've been missing out of the 'pen this year. An odd lost year for him. 

The same could be said of Perez, Krehbiel and Tate, for effective 1-inning relief. Speaking of Krehbiel, looks like he's regained some success at AAA, may be time for another try.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Interestingly, Fuji is listed as "MINORS" on the 40-man. I'm sure that's a temporary designation, but I think international guys can technically be optioned (remember when we optioned Chen for roster fiddling reasons?). 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

Looks like he's not being placed on the 26-man today, so I guess administratively it has to say Minors until they add him tomorrow.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this on this thread or not...  But if you haven't seen him pitch, this shows the good and the bad.

GIF Breakdown: Shintaro Fujinami's MLB Debut in 27 GIFs | Pitcher List

It's a breakdown of his MLB debut game against the Angels.

The splitter is filthy.  The 4seamer is fast even if it's a little flat.  The slider is bleh, but a good change of speed to keep them honest.  He hung a few sliders that were pulled foul or knock off the wall in LF.  But that plays to into the Walltimore strength too.  

I suspect he'll be throwing the splitter and slider more here.  But the real path to improvement is throwing more competitive pitches (that 2nd percentile chase rate has to improve to get the BB9 down).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

When is Fujinami going to available? MLB.com video review doesn't list him as an available reliever.

Maybe they can't find an interpreter? /rollseyes /sarcasm on. I expect he'll be available at some point during the series, I hope he keeps rolling!