Os acquiring Fujinami for Easton Lucas

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Coulombe pitched 2.1 on Wednesday. Could see Irvin in the mix, even in a close game. 

Irvin threw 82 pitches while Coulumbe just 25.  Irvin basically started with how many pitches he had to throw in those 4 innings.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought Fujimari’s stuff looked good tonight.  The first pitch hit for a homer wasn’t too bad.  The rest of the inning his stuff was pretty nasty.  That splitter is a good pitch and complements his fastball well.  

If he pitches like he did tonight every time out he's a huge Elias steal.  

3 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

If he pitches like he did tonight every time out he's a huge Elias steal.  

Why do you say that? Because of the stuff? My understanding is that he has flashed the arm all year with Oakland even while getting batted around.

The decision to throw a hittable fastball on the first pitch to Siri was a pretty risky one. Siri has a very high HR/at bat percentage. If you watch his at bats, he is pretty clearly sitting on a pitch and doesn't even consider swinging if he doesn't get it. But when he does, it's bombs away. No surprise at all that he was looking fastball knowing that a reliever was making his first appearance and wanted to get an easy strike to kick things off.

Not sure how much of that is on Fuji. There have been many times this year I've thought that Adley could have seen the folly in calling for a certain pitch and done something to prevent it. Or the coaching staff could have given Fuji a better scouting report on Siri.

He was fun to watch after that though.

5 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Why do you say that? Because of the stuff? My understanding is that he has flashed the arm all year with Oakland even while getting batted around.

The decision to throw a hittable fastball on the first pitch to Siri was a pretty risky one. Siri has a very high HR/at bat percentage. If you watch his at bats, he is pretty clearly sitting on a pitch and doesn't even consider swinging if he doesn't get it. But when he does, it's bombs away. No surprise at all that he was looking fastball knowing that a reliever was making his first appearance and wanted to get an easy strike to kick things off.

Not sure how much of that is on Fuji. There have been many times this year I've thought that Adley could have seen the folly in calling for a certain pitch and done something to prevent it. Or the coaching staff could have given Fuji a better scouting report on Siri.

He was fun to watch after that though.

You ask a question in the first line, and then give the answer I would have.  I qualified my comment by saying "if he can keep it up".  

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

You ask a question in the first line, and then give the answer I would have.  I qualified my comment by saying "if he can keep it up".  

Keep up the 9.00 ERA he has with us now? He has had the stuff all year but has presumably made boneheaded decisions like the one to throw that pitch. Maybe our staff can help him with that.

Definitely lots of potential there in exchange for not giving anything up, so really like the move.

I don't know how Elias could get an arm like that for what looks right now like a pretty ordinary minor league pitcher. Fastball was sitting around 100 with a 94 MPH splitter. I mean, that's Bautista. 

Edited by vab

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

Keep up the 9.00 ERA he has with us now? He has had the stuff all year but has presumably made boneheaded decisions like the one to throw that pitch. Maybe our staff can help him with that.

Definitely lots of potential there in exchange for not giving anything up, so really like the move.

He didn't call that pitch.  The hitter looked shocked he'd actually hit it.  

4 minutes ago, vab said:

I don't know how Elias could get an arm like that for what looks right now like a pretty ordinary minor league pitcher. Fastball was sitting around 100 with a 94 MPH splitter. I mean, that's Bautista. 

I think Fujinami can be an asset, but I hope this isn't the answer to finding a third reliever to pair with Cano and Bautista for the 7-8-9 innings. Hopefully we see another move to strengthen the bullpen before the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

He didn't call that pitch.  The hitter looked shocked he'd actually hit it.  

I'm not sure what you mean by either of these statements.

Fuji probably gets away with that pitch against a lot of guys, so it's not egregious. But Siri in particular is the type of batter who is always look for a pitch to drive, and a fastball is the most obvious one to sit on in that situation.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I'm not sure what you mean by either of these statements.

Fuji probably gets away with that pitch against a lot of guys, so it's not egregious. But Siri in particular is the type of batter who is always look for a pitch to drive, and a fastball is the most obvious one to sit on in that situation.

The pitches are being called from the dugout and AR sets the target.