Gunnar v. Adley v. MLB - Top 20 Trade Value

Just Regular

On 7/21/2023 at 12:13 AM, e16bball said:

It’s not really a question of saying Tatis should be ahead of J-Rod, though. There’s no doubt Rodriguez has the preferable contract, and he almost certainly should be ahead of Tatis on that basis.

But putting Rodriguez in the top 10 (and presumably Acuna at #1, though we won’t know that until tomorrow) confirms that the author recognizes the value of elite young talent under contract for a very long time, presumably cost-controlled and likely below market price. That same description fits Tatis. 

He’s 24, and he’s basically top 20 in WAR since the day he debuted (21 in fWAR, 20 in bWAR), despite playing about 75 less games than any other player in the top 25. From the age of 20-24, he’s averaged about 8 WAR per 162 games. Which is wild. And it’s not like the contract is crazy — including this year, it’s 12/324M, which comes out to $27M a year. As we know, that’s paying him for about 3.5 WAR/season. There’s surplus value in that contract, and potentially a ton of surplus value, especially given that he’s been one of the more marketable players in the game to date.

We’re talking about a list that has guys like Ke’Bryan Hayes, Lars Nootbaar, and even (though I love him) Cedric Mullins on it. And Fernando Tatis Jr. doesn’t even merit an honorable mention? That’s not really being reasonable.

Tatis is #8. 

On 7/20/2023 at 2:14 AM, Yossarian said:

Who would you consider the leader of this team?  I think Gunnar is slowly taking over as the face of the franchise, but who is the leader?

Mullins?

Santander?

Hays?

Rutschman?

Henderson?

I’d say Adley …he’s the clear captain of the pitching staff. Santander and Mullins are younger veterans. Henderson is rising….but, everytime I hear ‘‘em talking on 105.7 they mention Adley signing a long term extension and Gunnar running for the door in free agency with Boras.

I don't agree at all with Gunnar being below Elly.  Elly is a human highlight reel but his actual game stats are just good, not great.  Certainly not enough that I would put him over Gunnar.  It's not like Gunnar is a slouch in the athleticism department, and his batting skills just so much more refined.  I don't think Elly is going to magically make his swinging strike rate disappear.