What is your realistic best case trade deadline outcome?

Sports Guy

My realistic best case is 2 more RP's and 1 SP. I think Fuginami will be a big plus and I think 2 more guys similar to him are on the way. Wonder if one is Genesis Cabrera who has the big stuff but doesn't throw enough strikes. Do the O's feel they can adjust him within a few weeks and get him right?

I don't think we acquire any of the big names, Stroman, Hader, Snell, none of those guys. If we acquire a SP, I think it'll be a guy with a lot of team control remaining like a Logan Gilbert or Bryce Miller. That seems like the kind of deal where Ortiz is involved. SEA fits Ortiz well with their need for a 2Bman now and maybe a SS in a year or 2. Gilbert is 6'6" so I think he's the preferred guy. 

I don't see any way Frazier or Urias are traded but I'm hoping someone overpays for Mountcastle (Philly?) or Mateo (SFG?). I'm counting on the Phillies GM to gut their farm and the Giants are just 2 games back so I think they'll be active. 

Earlier I would have said Prieto would have been traded but seeing how much the O's value the L/R lineups, and looking at his profile, I think Prieto becomes the '24 version of Frazier. There are too many parallels in their hit profile. 

I'm curious whether Rodriguez winds up in the pen mid-Sept. That makes sense to me. I don't forsee any more rentals headed this way and I'm surprised they did with Fuginami but to me, he's got a real good chance to finish the year really strong. On the other hand, they've got some 40 man issues that could be cleared up and that may lead to another trade for a rental but I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm starting to wonder if we go out and grab a defensive-minded CFer. Are there any that exist on sellers? I'm thinking more towards the Brett Phillips side of things (ugh) than the Bellinger side. But like, not actually Phillips. 

I think this is possible, maybe even likely and I thought of Phillips as a possible option.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this is possible, maybe even likely and I thought of Phillips as a possible option.

Currently batting .077 (16 PA) and somehow with a 0.1 WAR. lol

Billy Hamilton is kicking around the White Sox AAA roster. 

At a certain point though, I might just use Daz Cameron. It's also tough to figure out who to send down to get another OF on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Currently batting .077 (16 PA) and somehow with a 0.1 WAR. lol

Billy Hamilton is kicking around the White Sox AAA roster. 

At a certain point though, I might just use Daz Cameron. It's also tough to figure out who to send down to get another OF on the roster. 

At some point, they need to cut bait with some of these vets that are now struggling and hurting you Defensively.

Im not saying Hicks has to go but an upgrade is needed and if it costs him a roster spot, so be it.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm starting to wonder if we go out and grab a defensive-minded CFer. Are there any that exist on sellers? I'm thinking more towards the Brett Phillips side of things (ugh) than the Bellinger side. But like, not actually Phillips. 

Wouldn’t you just promote McKenna?   That’s what he is.  I’d even suggest Daz Cameron before I’d start thinking about Phillips.

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

Brett Phillips hit about .150 while he was here. No matter how good you are as a defensive player, there is no way that you can come out being a positive value player when your offense is that abhorrent. We already have one of those type players in Mateo (not as bad offensively but certainly negative value with the bat in his hand). 

Can you imagine how people would lose it here if we played 2 Mateos in the lineup? … No thanks!

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

There are PLENTY of RPs out there who are just as good as Hader who aren't closers. 

Oh really?   Last I heard, 1.00 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 13.5 K/9 was pretty damned good.  Please name the pitchers you think are comparable who aren’t closers.  Hader has been in the majors since 2017 and has the highest fWAR of any reliever during that time.  

• Upvote 3

Trade One with Mets

O’s get - RHP David Robertson and LHP Brooks Raley

Mets get - Stowers, Daz Cameron/McKenna, Cionel Perez, and Darwinzon Hernandez

We get Robertson to bridge the gap to Bautista and to help lighten the load off of Cano. Raley is an upgrade over Perez and signed through next year, or has a team option. Buck gets a contact:damage LH OF in Stowers. Cameron offers them some much needed athleticism in CF.  Hernandez has a big time power arm.

Trade Two with Cardinals

O’s get - Jordan Montgomery 

Cards get - Norby and Wandisson Charles

We won’t go EdRod. He could blow that arm/shoulder out and not opt out. Elias inherited the Chris Davis situation and won’t be back in that position in our first “buy” year. The Cards get a RH bat that they can move around. They’re a vet team that is looking more to retool than rebuild. So a finished AAA product is enticing. Charles is a power arm that helps their pen, that has been terrible. 

Edit - maybe swap McKenna for Cameron in trade one. Buck loves his boys. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Oh really?   Last I heard, 1.00 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 13.5 K/9 was pretty damned good.  Please name the pitchers you think are comparable who aren’t closers.  Hader has been in the majors since 2017 and has the highest fWAR of any reliever during that time.  

Josh Hader's career ERA is in the mid 2.00s. Do you honestly believe there aren't comparable RPs with mid 2's ERAs who have solid strikeout numbers? Or are you just playing devil's advocate? Just off the top of my head I can think of three. I'm sure there are plenty more or emerging guys. 

Andres Munoz (SEA)
Abreu (HOU)
Adam (TB)

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Josh Hader's career ERA is in the mid 2.00s. Do you honestly believe there aren't comparable RPs with mid 2's ERAs who have solid strikeout numbers? Or are you just playing devil's advocate? Just off the top of my head I can think of three. I'm sure there are plenty more or emerging guys. 

Andres Munoz (SEA)
Abreu (HOU)
Adam (TB)

Emerging guys:

Brash (SEA)
Sims (CIN)
Payamps (TEX)
Leiter, Jr. (CHC)
Raley (NYM)

The idea is to trust the front office enough to identify the "next" Josh Hader. Why pay for an Alfa Romeo Tonale when you can just buy a Dodge Hornet (essentially the same car) for a fraction of the price? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

If we want an elite defender with elite speed, and be unconcerned by what he hit, we could promote #1 draft pick Bradfield Jr.

I wouldn't do that, unless in Sept when we could use those skills off the bench.

I would not dismiss this as a real possibility depending on how things play out.

• Upvote 1