My Thoughts on Today’s Game

RZNJ

7 minutes ago, crawjo said:

Yennier Cano had an 11.50 career ERA entering this year. I think he is finding his actual level now. It's not what he was during the first 35 innings of this year, but it's a lot better than anything else he's done in the past. 

In June and July, batters are hitting over .300 against him and his WHIP is 1.65 in June and 1.20 in July.  He's allowed 22 hits in 18 innings during that time and 5 ER. His ERA remains respectable, but he's allowing inherited runners to score. He's also had 11Ks in 18 innings. May was worse than April (obviously), June was worse than May and July has been worse than June. See where this is going?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

In June and July, batters are hitting over .300 against him and his WHIP is 1.65 in June and 1.20 in July.  He's allowed 22 hits in 18 innings during that time and 5 ER. His ERA remains respectable, but he's allowing inherited runners to score. He's also had 11Ks in 18 innings. May was worse than April (obviously), June was worse than May and July has been worse than June. See where this is going?

He's still our best option in the 8th...he needs to get some rest though...

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Malike said:

Cano very may well just be regressing to what he's always been. It's not unprecedented that a 30-year-old journeyman reliever puts up a crazy good 35 innings or whatever then regresses to what he's always been.

Maybe we will see Perez somehow get it together and support Cano and help limit his innings...Perez was on the ropes, but hes pitched better lately...

Just now, Es4M11 said:

Perhaps this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I could swear that McCann's bunt hit him in the shoulder after hitting the bat...

The Rays broadcast showed it several times, and seemed to have just hit the bat. If it didn't, that was 99 MPH heading for his throat. I'm glad it hit the bat.

Just now, Malike said:

The Rays broadcast showed it several times, and seemed to have just hit the bat. If it didn't, that was 99 MPH heading for his throat. I'm glad it hit the bat.

I watched it a few times on rewind. Looks to me that the pitch glances off the bat and goes mostly straight back from there, then hits McCann in the right shoulder, then back into the field of play.

Just now, Es4M11 said:

I watched it a few times on rewind. Looks to me that the pitch glances off the bat and goes mostly straight back from there, then hits McCann in the right shoulder, then back into the field of play.

My mistake, hits McCann in the left shoulder

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

That sounds like it would have been extremely painful and he would’ve shown that it was extremely painful.

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

That sounds like it would have been extremely painful and he would’ve shown that it was extremely painful.

I can't say for certain. It was a weird looking play and I re-watched it a few times, the ball does not appear to go forward directly off the bat to my eyes.

Just now, Es4M11 said:

I can't say for certain. It was a weird looking play and I re-watched it a few times, the ball does not appear to go forward directly off the bat to my eyes.

I only saw the play one time and didn’t watch it again… it just seems like an99 mph pitch that glances off the bat and hits someone in the shoulder would definitely cause some major pain.