My Thoughts on Today’s Game

RZNJ

17 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I can't say for certain. It was a weird looking play and I re-watched it a few times, the ball does not appear to go forward directly off the bat to my eyes.

Hard to believe the ball would ricochet off his shoulder the way it appeared to come off his bat.

My thought is it feels like GRod is 1 mental block away from getting through the 6th finally. For whatever reason that's the inning he falls apart in. This kid seems so close to being unlocked though and the "deadline" starter we needed. 

Speaking of the deadline it's obvious we need another back end of the pen arm. Someone to take over the 8th. This would allow Cano to slide into the 7th and rotate that with others or 6th inning match ups to rest his arm for the remainder of the season. It's obvious he's tiring. Arm slot is down, ball is getting flat, the amazing sink is gone. He needs rest and the best way to rest him would be to lessen his role for the rest of the summer. 

The offense is what it is. A grinder. They work pitchers and never quit. Couldn't ask for more really. 

Grod looked real good. Experience pitching deeper into games will only help him. Didn’t like pitch selection first batter in 6th. McCann had great day. I assume he called that though. Have to give Franco credit for a great approach on his single. 

No issue at all with Hyde today. He already had Fuji up before. My guess is next time he tries not to use him in as tough a spot. 

Big time hits by Frazier and O’Hearn. The teams depth/bench is key to season. 

5 minutes ago, Nite said:

My thought is it feels like GRod is 1 mental block away from getting through the 6th finally. For whatever reason that's the inning he falls apart in. This kid seems so close to being unlocked though and the "deadline" starter we needed. 

Speaking of the deadline it's obvious we need another back end of the pen arm. Someone to take over the 8th. This would allow Cano to slide into the 7th and rotate that with others or 6th inning match ups to rest his arm for the remainder of the season. It's obvious he's tiring. Arm slot is down, ball is getting flat, the amazing sink is gone. He needs rest and the best way to rest him would be to lessen his role for the rest of the summer. 

The offense is what it is. A grinder. They work pitchers and never quit. Couldn't ask for more really. 

I don't know if Grayson "fell apart".   He walked a guy on a 3-2 pitch, he gave up a good base hit, got a couple outs, and gave up a hit on a hit on a bad hop grounder.   2 runs.

If that happens in third inning of a normal start, do you say the pitcher "fell apart"?   No, you just say he gave up some hits.    They got to him.   It happens fairly often to every pitcher, no matter how good.

So the guy has faced the minimum and given up 1 infield hit and 1 walk through 5, and because he gives up a walk, a double, and a bad bounce single in an inning he supposedly fell apart?

Falling apart is what happened to McClanahan.   Giving up 5 runs in an inning, giving up 2-run doubles to batters like McCann and Mateo.   Getting touched for a couple runs by a good offense is not falling apart, it's just something that happens once in a while, even to very good pitchers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think McCann of all people deserves a lot of praise in this game...he called a pretty good game with GROD....Got a crucial double to score those runs...made a great throw to get Franco stealing....and of course, that amazing bunt that nearly hit his face...all and all his best game as an Oriole...

If he let it hit him we’d have had runners on 1st & 2nd with no outs 😎

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't know if Grayson "fell apart".   He walked a guy on a 3-2 pitch, he gave up a good base hit, got a couple outs, and gave up a hit on a hit on a bad hop grounder.   2 runs.

And he was squeezed badly for at least one strike on the walk. He gave up one hard hit ball that inning. He did not "fall apart" and I see no evidence of a "mental block." 

• Upvote 1

I think GRod needs a little more stamina.  I hope he spends the offseason doing a lot of running.  He’s inches away from being a really good pitcher.  I’m encouraged by his progress but he still has steps to take.  Today, he held his velocity well but his delivery and command became less consistent as his outing progressed.  

I’m pretty worried about Cano.  To me, he’s more like a league average middle inning guy than a reliable 8th inning guy right now.  

Fuji looked very nervous.  I think he will settle in and be useful, though.  His stuff is nasty.  

Perez to me has been looking better for a while.  Not like last year but pretty decent.  

Felix?  He’s a beast.  

I’m beginning to think Mateo’s defense suffers when he’s not okaying every day.  That’s too bad, because with his offense you can’t justify playing him every day.  It was nice to see him get hold of a hanging breaking ball instead of fouling it off today.  

Hays looks to be scuffling now.  He missed several hittable pitches today.  

Whole bullpen looking shaky other than Bautista.  No way Cano was going to be as good as he looked the first 2 months.  Hopefully a decent setup guy, but not #1 setup in a good bullpen.

Any hope for Tate or Givens coming back?  Maybe Povich out of the bullpen?  Clutching at straws now.

1 hour ago, Nite said:

I'm fine if Gray Rod is a 5 and dive starter for the rest of the year.  If he goes 5 innings for every start the rest of the year and allows 3 runs or less I would be ecstatic.

• Upvote 1