My Thoughts on Today’s Game

RZNJ

On 7/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, Bemorewins said:

By winning the division we will get a buy in round 1 of the playoffs thus getting time to rest then. IMO that kind of "rest" would be far more advantageous. 

If the bye is too many days though, it can become a curse. Like when the very strong 2007 Rockies team swept the Diamondbacks for the NL championship and had to wait around while the Boston vs. Cleveland series went the full 7. When it was World Series time one could tell they had lost their edge through idleness and got shockingly swept 4-0.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Go check Cowser's throw-in.

He hit the cutoff man.  I think that’s technically the correct play but it would have been more heads up with the play in front of him to see the go ahead run in Harper trying to score.  Cowser probably should have thrown home instead of to Mateo.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree with every word you wrote.  That sequence by Baker was infuriating.  

As to Mateo, that’s at least the third play in the last 8 days he didn’t make that he would have made last year.  I’m not saying they should have been scored as errors, but he needs to make plays like those to justify his occasional playing time.  And by the way, his relay throw home in the 8th was not a good throw, though MCCann made a great play to nab Harper by an inch on a play that shouldn’t have been that close.

The throw to McCann would’ve been easier if he didn’t have to pick Cowser’s throw to him. 

Edited by Sydnor
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He hit the cutoff man.  I think that’s technically the correct play but it would have been more heads up with the play in front of him to see the go ahead run in Harper trying to score.  Cowser probably should have thrown home instead of to Mateo.

He hit the cutoff man by short hopping him with a weak throw to the wrong shoulder.

That was a great catch and throw by Mateo.  And I stand by that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He hit the cutoff man by short hopping him with a weak throw to the wrong shoulder.

That was a great catch and throw by Mateo.  And I stand by that.

I just watched it again.  I suggest you do as well.  The throw was lower than I thought but I don’t think it hit the ground.   As for being to Mateo’s wrong shoulder, Mateo was already turned to his right and the throw was in a perfect place as far as him turning and throwing home.   I’ll concede that the throw should be chest high than at his feet but otherwise not horrible.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I just watched it again.  I suggest you do as well.  The throw was lower than I thought but I don’t think it hit the ground.   As for being to Mateo’s wrong shoulder, Mateo was already turned to his right and the throw was in a perfect place as far as him turning and throwing home.   I’ll concede that the throw should be chest high than at his feet but otherwise not horrible.

image.png.800c6bb77be8ab7948fc3c5ea569662a.png

Or we can just take Cowser's word for it. He short-hopped him.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I accept that.  Couldn’t tell for sure on the replay which I’ve watched about 5 times.

I want to add I don't think Cowser has a noodle arm, he's not gotten a ton of reps at anything since he's been up, but he's likely better suited for a COF spot.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Now that is a play Mateo should have made.  Bottom 9th 6/25

Edit: And it cost us the game.

As @Frobby pointed out recently, this is becoming a habit with Jorge. Critical last AB too. Ortiz 3-for-3 so far today, .344/.979. It's time. 
On that note, I wouldn't mind giving Cowser a breather at AAA and giving Heston his shot. It's a team effort, right?

Edited by now

Mateo comes up small in a big spot again, defensively.   He’s here for two things and he didn’t even attempt a steal in the 8th.   I hold my breath when he gets a grounder in a big spot.   If Gunnar misses any time I’d rather see Ortiz there most days.

Cano got beat but he threw strikes.  The LH hitters really hurt him but two grounders and dominated Castellanos.  We should be in the top of the 10th right now.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, now said:

As @Frobby pointed out recently, this is becoming a habit with Jorge. Critical last AB too. Ortiz 3-for-3 so far today, .344/.979. It's time. 
On that note, I wouldn't mind giving Cowser a breather at AAA and giving Heston his shot. It's a team effort, right?

See, I largely disagree with those takes.  There's been 3-4 plays that maybe a platinum glove ss makes and he has failed to, but he's still been excellent defensively, including making a game-saving play last night, that was unfairly maligned.

He has not been as good defensively this year as last, when he was a platinum glove ss, but he is still excellent.

But that play tonight?  Yeah, that's a clear E, and he has to make that play.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo comes up small in a big spot again, defensively.   He’s here for two things and he didn’t even attempt a steal in the 8th.   I hold my breath when he gets a grounder in a big spot.   If Gunnar misses any time I’d rather see Ortiz there most days.

Cano got beat but he threw strikes.  The LH hitters really hurt him but two grounders and dominated Castellanos.  We should be in the top of the 10th right now.

He always throws strikes.  He's getting beat because he can't command and they're all in the middle of the zone.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

He always throws strikes.  He's getting beat because he can't command and they're all in the middle of the zone.

He got three grounders and a strikeout against the 4 RH hitters.  Got behind Harper 2-0 and hung a change to Stott.   Sure, he’s not dominating but I think the stuff was good tonight.