If Elias trades for two more relievers, which two would you replace?

Greg Pappas

With two upgrades incoming, which two relievers would you choose to replace?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. With two upgrades incoming, which two relievers would you choose to replace?

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

Fair enough, I think the jury is still out on Fujinami.  But if he's deemed to be suspect then he can be replaced by someone else.  

Oh I'm not saying send him down or anything.  I just don't think that he's the answer to the problem of needing another shut down arm to go with Mountain.

6 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I think you trade for 2 reliable relievers and use Cano less. 

There are at least 12 GMs waking up at 3AM after a panic dream thinking a similar thing. By 9AM half of them have had their wheatgrass smoothie and are resigned to rolling with what they have or finding a live arm with lots of questions.

Getting those two “reliable” relievers this time of year is perhaps the most expensive thing in MLB, and like anything super expensive there is often disappointment.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

There are at least 12 GMs waking up at 3AM after a panic dream thinking a similar thing. By 9AM half of them have had their wheatgrass smoothie and are resigned to rolling with what they have or finding a live arm with lots of questions.

Getting those two “reliable” relievers this time of year is perhaps the most expensive thing in MLB, and like anything super expensive there is often disappointment.

Good... then Elias should strike early. 

14 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Is it possible that Wells Is moved to the pen and another starter and Reliever are acquired.  That's two short outings in a row.  He seemed to lose his command pretty ubruptly today.

I like the starter idea  better than getting a stud reliever or two. Come crunch time it will be all hands on deck anyway.

20 hours ago, dystopia said:

DirtyBird has to explain his choice of Bautista and Cano. I assume he's trolling.

20 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Maybe he misunderstood the poll and thought it was which two relievers he would KEEP at all costs.

Nope ….he already answered. He was under the impression nobody could see how he voted. So he wasn’t trolling just creating controversy when folks tried to figure out who voted for Cano & Bautista. I think he has egg on his face now.

39 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Is it possible that Wells Is moved to the pen and another starter and Reliever are acquired.  That's two short outings in a row.  He seemed to lose his command pretty ubruptly today.

I’ve long advocated for them to acquire another starter to upgrade at least one spot in the rotation. I would worry that Wells would interpret the pen as a demotion, no matter how clear they could be about it being in the best interest for both him and the team. It’s possible that (and a big if here) if Meansy really is back in the next few weeks, moving Tyler to the pen may be the best move. 

I’m worried about not having a lefty starter or one of the effective relievers going down. I’m not worried about Tyler Wells. Yet. 

Edited by banks703

Right now I think Elias should be looking for any sure upgrades he can get, hopefully with a pitcher who is as good as Bautista in case something happens. We need a backup closer and a couple of guys who can help to manage Bautista and Cano's usage so that they don't break down on us.

The jury is still out whether Fujinami can help improve the bullpen in the long run. He's not been given a fair shake yet and he's been thrown into the fire right away before he could even learn all his new teammates names.

5 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

If Elias trades for a couple more relievers he could solve the log jam problem by including one or two of our current relievers in the trade -- possibly even newly acquired Fujinama, though more likely someone a bit younger. 

Why would a team selling want Fujinama? He’s only under control through seasons end. Perhaps someone takes him and his salary to increase the return. Otherwise he has no value to a team selling.

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would a team selling want Fujinama? He’s only under control through seasons end. Perhaps someone takes him and his salary to increase the return. Otherwise he has no value to a team selling.

Yeah good point.  I shouldn't have even mentioned Fujinama -- didn't realize he was a rental and a bit expensive. 

The more I think about it if the O's trade for another reliever I'm not sure they could or even want to trade any of their current MLB level relievers since maybe they would rather keep them as depth in case someone gets hurt.  They'd probably rather trade from the minor league ranks.

2 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Yeah good point.  I shouldn't have even mentioned Fujinama -- didn't realize he was a rental and a bit expensive. 

The more I think about it if the O's trade for another reliever I'm not sure they could or even want to trade any of their current MLB level relievers since maybe they would rather keep them as depth in case someone gets hurt.  They'd probably rather trade from the minor league ranks.

And most teams selling at the deadline want prospects