Yankee fan criticizes the O's- calls them a "smoke and mirrors" team...

DocJJ

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Tell me what Yankee player is even remotely close to Adley and Gunnar? .. they had better get used to hearing their names over the next years as they awaken screaming from their nightmares 

Remotely?

Volpe.

He's 22, a rookie and currently at 2 rWAR.

Obviously he has to hit more but I'd say he counts.

I mean, they’re not wrong. But that’s just a pessimistic take on things. So far everything has gone swimmingly and they continue to win games despite their obvious flaws. But personally I would much rather watch a young team try and prove themselves than a bunch of overpaid older guys trying to recreate their younger selves every year. Maybe that’s too much of a generalization, but either way the truth is in the win and loss column…and whose in 1st?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remotely?

Volpe.

He's 22, a rookie and currently at 2 rWAR.

Obviously he has to hit more but I'd say he counts.

Adley and Gunnar will become names like Derek that will make them scream and pull their hair out for years 

"Smoke and mirrors" is another way of saying that the O's are outperforming their Pythagorean W-L record.   Currently our winning percentage is .616, while our expected W-L percentage is 0.545.  But predicting that we are going to "collapse down the stretch" so that we wind up at a 0.545 winning percentage at the end of the season is an example of the gambler's fallacy.  The best guess if you believe in run differential is that we will play 0.545 ball the rest of the way, which will leave us with 95 wins.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I saw this posted on a Yankee$ fan website:

"The O's will collapse down the stretch.  They are winning with guile and smoke and mirrors- it won't be sustainable.  They have 3 average-ish starters whose arms will fall off from never having thrown this much before.  They have no ace or even near top of rotation quality starter.  Middle relief is poor.  The back end is good but, my god, those poor guys pitch like every night.   Lineup is spotty and they have no middle of order masher bat..."

Valid concerns?  or Sour grapes?

Several valid concerns and truckloads of sour grapes.  Is guile a bad thing in this context?

The way the post is written, my diagnosis is that this Yankees fan is suffering from acute fantasy baseball poisoning mixed with NY sports media overload.

41 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Tell me what Yankee player is even remotely close to Adley and Gunnar? .. they had better get used to hearing their names over the next years as they awaken screaming from their nightmares 

I'll take this opportunity to post this line from Keith Law's blurb on Samuel Basallo in his latest top 60 prospects list:

The O’s are where they are in the standings because they have drafted unbelievably well since Mike Elias took over as GM, and if they start hitting on IFAs like they seem to have hit on Basallo, we should all run for cover. 

Someone should post that on the Yankees forum...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Judge is probably the best/2nd best hitter in the sport to be fair. But fortunately for us, he's on the shelf right now. So yeah the rest of their position players aren't close.

Let me make this as clear as I can. I don't give a rat's ass what a Yankee Fan thinks. Sounds like what we heard starting in 2013/2014. There are two months to go in this regular season and sure, a lot can happen. It's great though that even Yankee Fans are talking about the Orioles. We are moving on up and apt to be around a while and they don't know how to handle it. Ain't The Beer Cold?!