Yankee fan criticizes the O's- calls them a "smoke and mirrors" team...

DocJJ

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I saw this posted on a Yankee$ fan website:

"The O's will collapse down the stretch.  They are winning with guile and smoke and mirrors- it won't be sustainable.  They have 3 average-ish starters whose arms will fall off from never having thrown this much before.  They have no ace or even near top of rotation quality starter.  Middle relief is poor.  The back end is good but, my god, those poor guys pitch like every night.   Lineup is spotty and they have no middle of order masher bat..."

Valid concerns?  or Sour grapes?

Sounds like a whole lot of cope to me.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think either are career O's.

I'm worried it will be more like Machado.

Probably not Adley, but if this org can't figure out how to get a prime candidate like Gunnar signed to some sort of extension, then this golden era isn't going to get much better than the next few years. 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why worry about it?  What will be will be.  Lets just enjoy them while they are here and face the facts we might have to trade them early later.   I cant worry about that anymore.  Its out of our hands. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Why worry about it?  What will be will be.  Lets just enjoy them while they are here and face the facts we might have to trade them early later.   I cant worry about that anymore.  Its out of our hands. 

I worry a lot more about things I can't control than things I can.

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

These guys all came up together. If they have tons of success you could see them maybe allowing some arb years to be bought out to stay together. 

I don't thing there is much to any chance of this at all being the case. At the end of the day, it is a business for them. The org will have to do right and stop being cheap if you want to retain premium talent.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

On that topic, I just found this article...

https://pressboxonline.com/2023/05/29/former-gm-jim-bowden-orioles-should-hold-off-on-extension-talks-until-november/#:~:text=However%2C Henderson is represented by,on the free-agent market.

I don't know anything about Bowden. But I do know it's more complicated with Scott Boras being Gunnar's agent. We might have already missed the opportunity to extend him, and if that's the case, than Bowden would have been wrong in his quasi advice.

Another factor working against us fans, is that it seems like the front office feels they are pretty good at drafting and developing shortstops, and our placeholder "owner" suggested that the model they want to emulate is the replacement theory that the Rays use. 

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

Sour grapes. What he is really saying is not that the Orioles don't have good players, it's that they don't have any overpaid prima donas. His team is full of them and can barely hang over .500.

By the way, I should have said "he or she". We know that NYY douchebaggery is not limited to male fans. 😆