Yankee fan criticizes the O's- calls them a "smoke and mirrors" team...

DocJJ

3 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I saw this posted on a Yankee$ fan website:

"The O's will collapse down the stretch.  They are winning with guile and smoke and mirrors- it won't be sustainable.  They have 3 average-ish starters whose arms will fall off from never having thrown this much before.  They have no ace or even near top of rotation quality starter.  Middle relief is poor.  The back end is good but, my god, those poor guys pitch like every night.   Lineup is spotty and they have no middle of order masher bat..."

Valid concerns?  or Sour grapes?

It's both.   Sour grapes to see us with such a low payroll yet the 2nd best record in baseball,  while they are barely .500  with a huge payroll.  

At the same time,  the concerns they point out aren't necessarily wrong, and it's stuff that many here have identified as being possible issues or causes of concern.

But baseball,  more than the other sports IMO, is a team game.   Even those who are... not wanted by some of us (Mateo, Frazier, etc) have come up in some big spots and won us some games.  We are playing great as a team,  even if we aren't having tons of huge individual performances.  We are better than the sum of our parts, so to speak.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Yankee fan come back is, well we have 27 titles. 

Good for you guys. Your organization is a GD disaster right now.

Funny how running an organization is suddenly harder when you can't buy all the draftees, international prospects, and free agents.

24 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Funny how running an organization is suddenly harder when you can't buy all the draftees, international prospects, and free agents.

And when your big money 35-year-olds are no longer able to somehow magically extend their slugging careers like they used to. 

6 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Sour grapes. What he is really saying is not that the Orioles don't have good players, it's that they don't have any overpaid prima donas. His team is full of them and can barely hang over .500.

Agreed.  Yankees fans have forgotten what it's like to have a team full of mostly good young players.  Not since the 90s for them. 

I don't blame them for thinking the O's aren't the real deal yet since that sentiment happens to most newly good young teams -- especially for clubs that haven't been good for a long while.  I'm sure the Yankees felt smoked and mirrored by the Astros the first few years they got good again.  But I think most of us agree the team needs a bit more pitching, ideally both in the rotation and the bullpen.  

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

The ones who are willing to do it want the bigger pay day now in order to minimizing injury risk later. I don't think many care more about playing with their teammate/buddy friend/co-worker than they do about getting big time money.

Boras is definitely not going to be going along with that type of reasoning with Holliday and Henderson. And before anyone says that Boras works for said player. The reason that these guys hire a guy like Boras is to get them the most money possible. Not ride backseat so that they can play "buddy ball".

This is simplistic.  Those Cleveland teams from the 90s and these Braves teams both have guys that came up together. That surely plays some role.