Hear me out…Austin Hays

Answerman

12 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

Crazy idea - Austin Hays for Kyle Schwarber.  Phillies need RHH and OFers. Schwarber adds Homerun power, playoff experience would make the LH lineup especially when Mullins comes back the best in the league.   Doubt Philly would trade him though. 

We'd essentially be trading for a 30-year-old DH with a -2.1 dWAR who strikes out 200 times a year.  If we were to trade Hays I would hope we'd get someone who better fit our needs.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hays or Santander should get dealt in the off season.   I prefer to keep Santander over Hays.  No one is going anywhere this year.

I think they hold on to Hays until the 2024 off season.  I agree Santander traded this off season

Right now, Hays is ice cold and his bat is killing the lineup (.184/.212/.286) in July.  Compounding the situation, Hyde bats him leadoff a fair amount against LHP where his low BB rate hurts more.

The lineup is very solid vs RHP, but in order to protect all of the LHB, they need another big RH bat.

Hays is currently in free fall.  Looks particularly feeble against RH breaking pitches right now.  When Henderson, Rustchman, Cowser and such aren’t hitting at least they work the count a little and get the occasional walk.   When Hays, Mateo, and Mountcastle slump it’s just ugly.   Right now Hays is having a lot of ugly AB’s.  Average down to .293.  OPS down to .793.   Looks like another 2nd half swoon to me.   A really nice season turning into a really mediocre one each day.