The Loop could be closing..

bigbird

Do we really want a guy who seems to be scared of pitching in the AL? It seems like we're asking for tons of walks, because he's scared to throw a strike.
Why would we want a guy afraid to pitch in our league/division? I'd pass.

Appaently I agee. :)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My assumption has been that the whole wanting to pitch in the NL thing was nothing more than his agent trying to get the Orioles closer to the three years and money Looper wanted (Bigbird mentioned Looper's wishes for a 3 year deal). With the Dodger's as disappearing leverage, I guessed his agent could only try to use mild interest from other NL teams (Pirate's and Cubs) to try to spur the O's on?

My other guess is it won't work, and that we'll stick with whatever the current offer is.

There is a difference between being afraid and being smart. Looper knows the hitters in the NL. He wants to get a long term contract. If he is getting a one year contract it is smart to go where you can do his best.

Is Peavy afraid to go the AL just because he wants to pitch in the NL. He is already signed to a long term contract but would rather pitch in the NL and can enforce it with his NTC.

Shoot. Looper batted .254 last season & .222 so far in his career. If he'd come here the last couple of seasons, he'd arguably have become the O's most dangerous pinch-hitter.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer he wind up anyplace else, but I'm not going to freak out or anything if he suits up and becomes Pat Rapp for a new generation. (That's about what I'd expect, anyway).

If I was in his shoes, I'd want to stay in the NL were I was more familiar with the players, ballparks and not having to deal with the DH. So, if I had 2 offers on the table, 1 from each league I'd go with the one I'm familiar with.

It wouldn't be because I was afraid to pitch in the other league.

mlbtraderumors.com:

"8:06pm: Tony Jackson of the Los Angeles Daily News has heard that the deal is worth $5MM. Wolf can also earn up to $3MM in incentives if he reaches 200 innings."

Boy, Looper would love to get $8m for 200 IP, but he will not see that kind of deal from the O's.

Yea...I wonder if it ends up being a one year deal????

I've heard the one year offer with an option is still on the table. A 2 year deal gets him signed for sure. Time will tell on this. I really think we need another proven starter to enter the season with.

mlbtraderumors.com:

"8:06pm: Tony Jackson of the Los Angeles Daily News has heard that the deal is worth $5MM." Wolf can also earn up to $3MM in incentives if he reaches 200 innings. Boy, Looper would love to get $8m for 200 IP, but he will not see that kind of deal from the O's.

Stunning how prices have collapsed! Just incredible. This should be an exciting weekend as we loop in this last big fish on the pitching front (as long as the low prices don't start drawing in a bunch of competitors, which isn't exactly out of the question -- I'll stay optimistic for now). Then BRob next week. I'm salivating. Get me the spittoon.

Archived