The Loop could be closing..

bigbird

Folks who didn't give a second thought to the idea that $200 mil may have been excessive for Tex are getting massively bent out of shape about a 2/10 contract for Looper. This was a reasonable price to pay for a very large short-term need.

Agreed. Looper is a #4 starter, and that's a decent price to pay if he gives us 180 innings.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Folks who didn't give a second thought to the idea that $200 mil may have been excessive for Tex are getting massively bent out of shape about a 2/10 contract for Looper. This was a reasonable price to pay for a very large short-term need.

I don't see anyone getting bent out of shape over this.

I just don't think two guaranteed years was neccessary, that's all.

Which posters exactly are the ones who are complaining about this but were okay with giving $200m to Tex.

Trading isn't as easy as we make it to be. Otherwise, Huff and Roberts would be gone by now. We can't sign someone with the assumption that we can trade him.

Little different when you are trying to trade for value (Roberts/Huff) vs. dumping salary (Bradford, Looper in this scenerio).

There are always teams that will take useful parts at a large discount. The keys are that the parts are still useful and that the team be willing to eat money and give a discount.

I'm not going to get into extended discussion just based on Belkast's report, which may turn out to be inaccurate. However, if 2/$10 mm is the deal, we should be very happy. That is a low enough price where we should be able to trade him away if, at some point, we decide we don't need him. For right now, I feel very strongly that we do need someone like Looper to help assure that we get enough innings out of our starters to protect the bullpen.

I'm fine with 2/$10. The only way that this leads to clogging is if more than two among Hill, Penn, Liz, Matusz, Arietta, and Tillman establish that they can hold down a rotation slot by 2010. In that happy event, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over overpaying Uehara or Looper to go to the bullpen.

One caveat is that I hope this means that Walker and Baez actually have to earn their spots on the team this year. I'd be pretty steamed if the team was forced to release someone like Penn or Sarfate (or trade him for pennies on the dollar) just because Walker and Baez "had" to make the team.

I'm not going to get into extended discussion just based on Belkast's report, which may turn out to be inaccurate. However, if 2/$10 mm is the deal, we should be very happy. That is a low enough price where we should be able to trade him away if, at some point, we decide we don't need him. For right now, I feel very strongly that we do need someone like Looper to help assure that we get enough innings out of our starters to protect the bullpen.

During the last 2 years as a SP, he's averaged 6 IP, so I like the signing... even for 2 years.

I only hope that if Looper struggles or gets starts to get shelled routinely, and there is someone in Norfolk who deserves a shot, they'll pull the plug on Looper fairly soon and move him back to the bullpen.

Archived