Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

26 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Ok, so we’re *not* conceding the AL to them? Because that’s what you said.

I don’t think our odds for success are reasonably high with the holes in the roster as is. Wells is becoming less viable by the day and we have a real issue with our pre-Bautista bullpen.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think our odds for success are reasonably high with the holes in the roster as is. Wells is becoming less viable by the day and we have a real issue with our pre-Bautista bullpen.

Not to mention a 28 year old shortstop who's an automatic out and 2 rookies adjusting, one who is also an automatic out for the moment.

This team is really missing Cedric. Hicks was able to soften the blow for a while but even he's injured.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

So are we conceding the AL or not? Either stand by your hyperbole or take a breath and let the next few days play out before you panic.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Not to mention a 28 year old shortstop who's an automatic out and 2 rookies adjusting, one who is also an automatic out for the moment.

This team is really missing Cedric. Hicks was able to soften the blow for a while but even he's injured.

Hicks was toast even before he got hurt. .637 OPS in July. His magical ride has ended. Mullins, they very much need back.

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Montgomery would be a good addition. Elias must having to compete with desperate money-laden San Diego for him, although he does have the upper hand in terms of what prospects and young vets he can offer. Montgomery's salary has jumped from 2.13 to 6 to 10 million bucks over the last three seasons.

Edited by LA2

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This has seemed to me like one of the more probable targets for some time.  I also wondered, tho, if the Cards would package Arenado with him.  That seems unlikely now given the Cards' GM statement yesterday.  Not saying the two would be our target - probably too rich for us.  Montgomery would be an excellent addition.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree that Mateo shouldn’t be on the team. He really does nothing to help at this point. 

As far as Cowser is concerned, he certainly has struggled mightily. He probably has until Hicks and/or Mullins returns and then he’s probably going back to AAA or to the bench. Right now, he’s just too easy to get out at this level. He’s going to have to learn (like Gunnar did) how to attack pitches in the zone in early counts. You can’t be an effective hitter at this level when facing so many counts with 2 strikes. The pitching is too good.

As far as Westburg goes, the O’s have decided to play him very infrequently since the Rays series. Not really sure why? Urias’ playing time has gone up. It appeared a few weeks ago that Frazier was the platoon with Mateo as they would flip Gunnar between 3B and SS and Westburg between 2B and 3B depending on which was starting between Frazier and Mateo on that given day. But for whatever reason things have changed.

But agree overall on the point that we need some help.

14 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

My body is prepared for Rich Hill and another Brett Phillips type 

Yeah it'll be disappointing if they don't come through on Montgomery or ERod. Even Lorenzen for a cheap price would be helpful.

Snell isn't going anywhere and I don't see them being players for Verlander. Stroman probably not available either.

Outside of those six I don't think there's anyone else I want to see them go after. 

5 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

So are we conceding the AL or not? Either stand by your hyperbole or take a breath and let the next few days play out before you panic.

Sounds like an ultimatum?

The first point was simply a typo.

Yes I do NOT believe that the odds are very good for us to succeed in the AL postseason with the roster as is (given Mullins & Hicks will return sooner rather than later). I have been consistent in questioning whether this type of pitching staff can succeed for multiple rounds in the playoffs. I just don’t see any similarity between what we have and any of the last 10 winners of the World Series.

To me we have some obvious holes which will get exposed in the Fall. IMO if we are serious about trying to succeed we must make improvements.

7 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Yeah it'll be disappointing if they don't come through on Montgomery or ERod. Even Lorenzen for a cheap price would be helpful.

Snell isn't going anywhere and I don't see them being players for Verlander. Stroman probably not available either.

Outside of those six I don't think there's anyone else I want to see them go after. 

Lorenzen and Civale are also rumored options. I would try to get two if I can’t get a better reliever. 

• Upvote 1

Pitching is obviously a major need, but I will point out once again, our offense is not going to get us to the promised land. I posted recently that we have had 19 games with eight hits or less in the last 30, and last night, five hits, some of them in the same inning, Hitless the rest of the game. But I don't really know who's available that can make a substantial difference, so perhaps pitching should be the focus and try to win every game 3-2

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

This has seemed to me like one of the more probable targets for some time.  I also wondered, tho, if the Cards would package Arenado with him.  That seems unlikely now given the Cards' GM statement yesterday.  Not saying the two would be our target - probably too rich for us.  Montgomery would be an excellent addition.

What did he say about Arenado? I would love to have his glove and bat. 

Still a young team and ahead of schedule but things are not great.  Cano, Wells and Hays had a lot to do with the first half success.  They all look bad right now.  I know Cowser will be fine but he's not contributing much of anything.  Mullins is a big loss.  Getting nothing from Tate, Givens and Means has hurt.  A Montgomery addition would certainly help, especially if that meant an effective Wells could return to the pen.  Wells says he's fine but he sure doesn't look like it.  They really need Cedric back and I'd be fine if I never saw Cole Irvin again.  Wow, is he bad.