Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

17 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

It is true that having 1-3 top notch pitchers is an advantage in October.  But I think the rules of the game are still the same, then.  Do teams with shut-down pitchers use them in July?

If you think that’s the point, you are missing a lot.

Luckily Elias understands that upgrading the team for an October run is something that needs to be done.

Slowly but surely convincing myself that Michael Lorenzen and Steven Matz are going to be helpful additions to this team down the stretch, with Lorenzen taking Wells spot and Matz ready to step in when the next opening is needed.

The Kyle Gibsons/Adam Fraziers of the trade deadline if you will.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I’m surprised to not see this being discussed. 

It's a long shot, but Cease (FA 2026) has been discussed frequently.  If a move was made, I'd expect the return to be valued at something like Cowser and Ortiz.  It's a tough pill to swallow, as we lose 6 years of each, but Cease has ToR stuff and is highly valued around the league.  Maybe a Kjerstad and Norby pairing?  Again, unlikely, but fun to speculate.

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Well, we could use another starting pitcher or relief pitcher, because we are thin there.  We are flush with good position players and have enough depth to weather some injuries.  The Orioles are 16-9 in July, which is a 0.640 winning percentage.  Only Altlanta is better and NOBODY is even at 0.600.   Why is there this panic about having to make a trade move at any cost?  I think too many people here understand baseball from playing video games or fantacy leagues.

Even if you cannot be convinced that a rotation upgrade is necessary (18th in starter ERA), surely you can see that innings limits surrounding our younger SP’s is strictly a numbers game. Idk the science behind it all but this management has seemed to be conservative with building innings and very aware of past workloads. We have had a very healthy rotation and maybe the caution has paid off but correlation isn’t causation. Grayson and Wells are of particular concern here. Does management feel comfortable with Bradish or Kremer going 180? IDK. But Irvin sucks and Means isn’t in a position where he should be relied on. We need a body or two to carry the load. 

Edited by Matt Bennett
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Is a 4.00 ERA bad?  He has a 111 career ERA+.  He’d be our best or second best starter. 

It's not bad at all, but we'd be paying for a 2.95 ERA pitcher (who's really a 4.00 ERA pitcher). I don't buy the fact that a player who's pitched in the league for nearly 10 years and has a career 4.05 ERA is suddenly a Cy Young caliber pitcher at age 30. E-Rod's a perfectly fine rotation piece, but only if the price is right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's a long shot, but Cease (FA 2026) has been discussed frequently.  If a move was made, I'd expect the return to be valued at something like Cowser and Ortiz.  It's a tough pill to swallow, as we lose 6 years of each, but Cease has ToR stuff and is highly valued around the league.  Maybe a Kjerstad and Norby pairing?  Again, unlikely, but fun to speculate.

Pass... 

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Slowly but surely convincing myself that Michael Lorenzen and Steven Matz are going to be helpful additions to this team down the stretch, with Lorenzen taking Wells spot and Matz ready to step in when the next opening is needed.

Michael Lorenzen would not be the two way player I wanted 😛

Edited by Orioles0615

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I didn’t/don’t really want Lorenzen but if you can get him for very little, it’s probably a move to make because you do need innings. My thing is, get him but also get a better starter.

Every available pitcher has some warts.  If I am giving up a top 3-5 prospect, I want a wart free pitcher. Someone who gets past 6 innings regularly and at times through 7.  Even Verlander only went 5.1 yesterday.. don't know if that could be related to trade possibilities.. but disappointing if not. 

Edited by Fan4Life

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's not bad at all, but we'd be paying for a 2.95 ERA pitcher (who's really a 4.00 ERA pitcher). I don't buy the fact that a player who's pitched in the league for nearly 10 years and has a career 4.05 ERA is suddenly a Cy Young caliber pitcher at age 30. E-Rod's a perfectly fine rotation piece, but only if the price is right. 

You do realize that league wide ERA goes up and down right?  It's not a great thing to use as a tentpole argument.

His ERA+ over his career is 111 and his career FIP is 3.82.

I think folks are judging him more on that 111 than they are his current 148.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fan4Life said:

Every available pitcher has some warts.  If I am giving up a top 3-5 prospect, I want a wart free pitcher. Someone who gets past 6 inning regularly and often times through 7.  Even Verlander only went 5.1 yesterday.. don't know if that could be related to trade possibilities.. but disappointing if not. 

Who, exactly, doesn't have a wart?

What perfect pitcher is worth a top 5! prospect?

Are there even a dozen pitchers in today's game that meet your criteria?  You place a pretty high value on the fifth best prospect in the system.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You do realize that league wide ERA goes up and down right?  It's not a great thing to use as a tentpole argument.

His ERA+ over his career is 111 and his career FIP is 3.82.

I think folks are judging him more on that 111 than they are his current 148.

It's irrelevant to the point I'm making. Acquiring E-Rod would be a buying high situation. That's very rarely a winning strategy, especially with older players. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who, exactly, doesn't have a wart?

What perfect pitcher is worth a top 5! prospect?

Are there even a dozen pitchers in today's game that meet your criteria?  You place a pretty high value on the fifth best prospect in the system.

Ok lets say top 3 prospects, much higher for a rental.  Verlander took 103 pitches to get through 5.1 innings. You are correct there isn't anyone available that I would give any of our top 3. I watched Hader close yesterday.. he was disappointing to watch as well. But one game likely isn't a good bar to use.

Edited by Fan4Life