Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Upgraded?  But they’re still 1 IP guys. You’d be swapping them out for another 1 IP reliever. You’d still have the same problem. You only have 8 spots. 

The issue is that Baker and Perez don’t have options. Over a 162 game season, you need to be able to option your relievers outside of your top guys. 

We’re already maxing out the 8th spot by having a reliever like Khreibel versus a classic long man. 

We’re spoiled. Sometimes you gotta run your relievers out there other than Bautista and Cano in high leverage situations. Over 162, that means using your 7th/8th best reliever. 

I really don’t see your point,  losing Baker or Perez isn’t much of a loss. If they get claimed by another team after we acquire a good setup man, who cares?

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

It's a $35m player option for 2025 if he hits 140 innings next year.

Thanks.  I'd love to get him and it will be interesting how much the Mets are willing to pay.  The Scherzer deal freaks me out though.  You'd have to think if that's the precedent then it would have to be Mayo or Kjerstad going.  I'd be comfortable doing Norby+ but I think the Mets want quality and not quantity.  I'd almost prefer if he were just a rental given that he is 40 and the cost would be lower (maybe?).  Still, I'd love him for this year...

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

No crap it is.  99% of relievers in MLB are a steep drop from Bautista. Sorry. You’re 6th, 7th, and even 8th best reliever, has to pitch. 

Why does Elias keep giving Hyde a fresh arm in the 8th spot of the pen and Hyde not using them. Nobody else has options. 

Sometimes we’re going to lose close games. It happens. We’re lucky, and very spoiled, that we’re this far into the season and have only dealt with a little bit of fatigue from Cano. Remember Bautista was struggling right before the miracle of Cano showed up. 

So we’re so spoiled as a fan base that we’re asking Elias to find the next Cano, not trade away too much, and this next Cano better be able to get 6 outs every two games?  

Seems realistic. 

Meh, I think Sewald would have been a fine 8th inning guy and the consensus is he didn't cost the world.

There are veteran RP options out there who can come in to split the 7th/8th duties with Cano, Coloumbe and Fuji. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m going to catch a ton of flack for this, but it’s all good…

I’d be calling the Marlins and seeing about Jorge Lopez. He’s worth the low cost of bringing him back and seeing if we can fix him. 

Don't hate the idea of Lopez in a vacuum, but Miami just traded for him so clearly they want him in their plans. And he has 2 scoreless appearances for them. So not sure why they would turn around and flip him right away. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No crap it is.  99% of relievers in MLB are a steep drop from Bautista. Sorry. You’re 6th, 7th, and even 8th best reliever, has to pitch. 

Why does Elias keep giving Hyde a fresh arm in the 8th spot of the pen and Hyde not using them. Nobody else has options. 

Sometimes we’re going to lose close games. It happens. We’re lucky, and very spoiled, that we’re this far into the season and have only dealt with a little bit of fatigue from Cano. Remember Bautista was struggling right before the miracle of Cano showed up. 

So we’re so spoiled as a fan base that we’re asking Elias to find the next Cano, not trade away too much, and this next Cano better be able to get 6 outs every two games?  

Seems realistic. 

Speaking of fatigue, it’ll be interesting how Bautista bounces back from that workload last night.  That was a lot.  

Just now, StottyByNature said:

Thanks.  I'd love to get him and it will be interesting how much the Mets are willing to pay.  The Scherzer deal freaks me out though.  You'd have to think if that's the precedent then it would have to be Mayo or Kjerstad going.  I'd be comfortable doing Norby+ but I think the Mets want quality and not quantity.  I'd almost prefer if he were just a rental given that he is 40 and the cost would be lower (maybe?).  Still, I'd love him for this year...

That's probably everyone's cutoff (Mayo or Kjerstad versus Norby + others), but if Elias decides its worth pulling the trigger on, game on.

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I still can't believe they'd be this far into talks if he wasn't willing to come to Baltimore. It wouldn't make sense to spend that much time negotiating on deadline day, would it?

Although thinking about it I wonder if it could compel the Tigers to just accept whatever offer we may have out there before they miss out on it. Could just be posturing.

Edited by ThisIsBirdland

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

I still can't believe they'd be this far into talks if he wasn't willing to come to Baltimore. It wouldn't make sense to spend that much time negotiating on deadline day, would it?

Lol imagine they have a deal finally worked out with 5 mins to go in the deadline. And the Mets say "good deal, ok let me ask JV and Kate if it's ok" 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die.  Everyone here wants a guy like Verlander, no one wants to part with what it'll cost to get him (including me, I don't want to give up what it'll most likely cost to get him).

But that's the game, and if Elias lands Verlander no one can accuse him of not going for it.  

It also wouid shut up the “Angelos is cheap” crowd, unless the Mets eat a lot of money.  

• Upvote 2