Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really …. 

Mets … Verlander for a couple prospects not in your top 10.

Mets for Verlander with Mets paying his salary ….We will pay the $50 million but we want Holiday

They can go pound sand.  Holiday is going to be as good as Machado.  We got to use him for at least four years before trading him.

9 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I know all the talk is the great relationship between Verlander and the Astros, but I wonder if that relationship didn't take a hit when the Astros didn't pony up the cash to resign him?

Verlander may like living in Texa$, or at least he might value their low $tate income tax.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not saying this is not true. But what prospect reservoir are they trading from? If it is true that the Mets want prospects, how can HOU be ahead of the O's and Dodgers, the best 2 farm systems in the game?

Because those teams may not be willing to trade as much or he may not want to go there.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not saying this is not true. But what prospect reservoir are they trading from? If it is true that the Mets want prospects, how can HOU be ahead of the O's and Dodgers, the best 2 farm systems in the game?

No trade clause.  Doesn't matter if we have a deeper farm system if Verlander ends up refusing to come to Baltimore.  Wouldn't be shocked to hear that we are just being used to drive the price up. 

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's not who has the best farm, it's which team is willing to give up the best prospects.

I know some don't believe in top 100 lists or farm system rankings. But by any metric/professional opinion that you go by, the Astros have one of the most barren farm systems in baseball. 

So, that's why I ask, what real commodities by way of top level/desirable prospects do they even have to offer?

I've seen this a thousand times... tweets/posts from national writers providing what they're hearing from sources.  Sometimes they're spot on, and sometimes they're misinformed/mislead or the wind changes direction and subsequently nothing comes from their info.   Still... it is oddly entertaining... kind of "gossipy" and I/we can't get enough. LOL 😁

Edited by Greg Pappas

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Exactly…..but that’s what they’d be willing to buy for $50 million. 

I never heard Elias ever suggest he thought the Orioles NEEDED a guy like Verlander.  I cant not see him giving up Holiday for anyone to be honest.  Elias said at his press conference when he was hired the Orioles were going to be a draft and development based team.   They stressed being like Tampa.  None of that makes me think we want go give up hard earned prospects for some 40 year old just to slightly improve our chances in the playoffs.  Especially when this old guy seems like he is lost a couple of steps.  

Make a deal with Houston.  Verlander would probably go back.  His wife is used to the area.  

We should maybe look to upgrade the bullpen and call it a day.  

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah, O's will count on Irvin pitching 3 or 4 innings and he won't make it thru 1 inning.

Depends on the home plate umpire.   Irvin lives at the bottom of the zone and on the outside corner.  The home plate ump on Saturday night wasn't calling low strikes or outside strikes--a very bad matchup for Irvin.  

• Upvote 1