Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really …. 

Mets … Verlander for a couple prospects not in your top 10.

Mets for Verlander with Mets paying his salary ….We will pay the $50 million but we want Holiday

You get an extra year of Verlander but his numbers suggest it might not be worth it.

Its stupid to give top 100 prospects for a 2 month rental 

I'm not sure what your Verlander hypothetical has to do with our discussion on the merits of rentals, but I predict that you will be unsatisfied regardless of what moves are made (Obviously Holliday isn't getting dealt).

Everyone wants a significant improvement that is under team control, but also thinks our top 6-7 guys are untouchable... Good luck

13 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I've seen this a thousand times... tweets/posts from national writers providing what they're hearing from sources.  Sometimes they're spot on, and sometimes they're misinformed/mislead or the wind changes direction and subsequently nothing comes from their info.   Still... it is oddly entertaining... kind of "gossipy" and I/we can't get enough. LOL 😁

Yep.  Lots and lots of noise in the media signal this close to the trade deadline.  Always good to remember that before getting too invested in any "report".

• Upvote 1

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

Cohen looking ahead to 24 I imagine will go hard after Ohtani in the offseason and if he really wants him he won't be out bid.

Ohtani is a quiet person, LAA has made every concession he's asked for to live a quiet life in a big town. He doesn't want to play in a spot where he's getting a ton of attention, he's private. He wants to play on the West Coast, we'll see. Money only buys you so much, and after a certain dollar amount, it turns into what do I really need for my family. I still think they are the favorites to keep him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

The publicity of our part in a bidding war for Verlander etal help lower the price for who may really want, Flaherty/Carson?

Sure.  there are all kinds of games of chess here.   I'm just sticking my ground on no one higher than Norby for either a rental or a 41 year old pitcher.   if SOMEHOW (and this isn't feasible) we pry an arm from Seattle, i would be fine with parting from the prospects.   I just feel like it will be a GROSS OVERPAYMMENT if we land JV.    An overpayment we will all itch whine and complain about, and we live with it,   a gross one could set us back... and no interest in that.  

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I kind of like the idea of a Flaherty/Carlson package.

I was thinking this and then I saw that Flaherty gets lit up in LHB. LHB have a .637 OPS vs Lorenzen this year. If we can’t get Ed Rod, then Lorenzen is the only guy we should trade for. I’ve under estimated how good Lorenzen’s numbers are this year. Oddly enough, he might be really helped out by OPACY and the wall. 

If we’re gearing up for the playoffs then I think we need Lorenzen, Carlson, and Ottavino. If we’re just trying to make the playoffs, then we probably need a vet SU guy. Just to take the pressure off the rest of the pen. 

56 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree. He's had his pre-deadline audition and it has gone about as poorly as a small sample could go. I'm all for getting Cowser as much time as he needs to adjust, but the team doesn't really have that luxury with the Rays and Jays nipping at their heels and a tired bullpen. They have to prioritize fielding the best possible team, which should include a CF who can defend and hit a little. 

That's not a knock on the player Cowser could become. It's just the reality of the present situation. 

This is where I am as a fierce defender of CC. I'm VERY confident that he will excel in the bigs and while his adjustment to a new league is well documented, I've been hoping to see something click with him these last couple of games. I don't think that the O's need to throw away the three+ weeks that he's had so far by optioning him back to Norfolk but in a division title race, it's hard to manage running anyone out there who isn't producing and right now he is struggling to compete in most of his ABs. Not a knock on a rookie with 20+ games under his belt but ya know, division race and all.

I do wonder if the trade speculation and the clamoring for Kjerstad could get to a young guy like Cowser. I see very little sense in a swap of Cowser for HK at this point (HK can't play in center and as much as people have dogged on CC's outfield play, he's a much much better outfielder than HK). I can see them acquiring a more true major league centerfield option (even though I wouldn't consider Pham a CF, would the Mets include him in a Verlander deal? I am personally not a fan of Pham and given his history of slapping his teammates, I would not want that toxicity in the clubhouse). 

The next five hours or so are going to be either extremely exciting for some (and disappointing to others) or they're going to be extremely uneventful, which is what I mostly expect. 

I can see former teammates in Houston texted Verlander to try and encourage him to push for a trade to Houston and to lift his no trade clause there. It happened when he was originally traded to Houston. Dallas Keuchel texted him and encouraged him he would be happy with his decision if he let Detroit trade him to Houston.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I kind of like the idea of a Flaherty/Carlson package.

I do too, and it shouldn't cost any of our top guys.  Verlander is not happening.  This story has played out multiple times in the past.  Flaherty has logged 151 and 196 innings before.  Carlson can play CF while Mullins/Hicks heal up.  Don't know what it would take to get them but makes sense and likely something the Front Office would be willing to do.