Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

If the White Sox give up a more-or-less homegrown guy who they think is a Cy Young caliber player under contract for the next three seasons, they don't want whichever scraps we decide to give them. They want the same guys who we do. They're under no obligation to trade Cease.

So say Kjerstad + Ortiz + Povich is their price. Or Mayo + Hall. Guys who it hurts to lose.

Can you fault Elias for saying no thanks to these requests? These are pieces who will have the same value this winter as they do now, and once they're gone that's it.

Not saying that I would necessarily make that deal. But question could be asked conversely: Can you fault Elias for saying yes and taking advantage of the opportunity right in front of him?

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

I will trust Elias on this.  Cease has an over 4.00 ERA and his FIP is 3.63.  It isn't clear to me if he is a #1, #2, or a #3.  I trust that Elias knows and will pay the appropriate price.  

I trust Elias too, but no one can predict the future. It's a gamble. Cease isn't a guy who has been the man for his entire life and has years of success to point to. But the White Sox are going to regard him that way.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Povich

I like Carlson more than most, but that's our best pitching prospect after Grayson for a .600-OPS OF. They can have a Trace Bright or someone of that level maybe, but even that feels like a stretch. Just play McKenna at that point. 

Edited by interloper

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I would think they would have been "considering" Cease from the jump. They're considering everybody to some degree. 

Ok.  Did you see the "conversation getting hot" part?  Not saying it's reliable or even true, but it is worth discussing on a message board.