Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

White Sox come to you and say one of these guys has to headline the deal..who do you choose:

Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo

It's between Cowser and Kjerstad for me.  I would leave that one up to Elias. 

I think it would take two top five guys, one top ten guy, plus one or two in the 11-20 range to sniff Cease.  

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Last year was the only year he was “very very good”. 4.13 ERA this year with a 1.34 WHIP. If the White Sox can’t be objective about him we should tell them to go pound sand. 

He had two pretty good seasons in his first two seasons as a full-year starting pitcher at ages 25 and 26. He's a good pitcher with years of team control. How many starting pitchers have been moved this deadline that have more value than him?

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Recency bias.

Maybe but Mayo is a monster in size.  Basallo is a monster in size at catcher.  And my favorite Kjerstad is going to hit homeruns in Camden Yards like a good level Chris Davis.   Free and easy power.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, c'mon.  Everyone here is saying Cowser.

Except they aren’t.

It’s a tough call.

If Basallo can stay at C, he can be a DH/1B/back up C for you. If he can’t stay at C, you likely don’t keep him, Mayo and Kjerstad.

Cowser doesn’t have anyone in his way but the team drafts college OFers like crazy, so they have depth…maybe you take advantage of high value for Cowser right now?

Just now, CallMeBrooksie said:

He had two pretty good seasons in his first two seasons as a full-year starting pitcher at ages 25 and 26. He's a good pitcher with years of team control. How many starting pitchers have been moved this deadline that have more value than him?

He’s pretty good and people discount he has horrible defense behind him. They regularly play 3 DH in the field per game. He’s given up 500 hits in 600 innings which is pretty special.

38 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Padres are in a weird spot because they’ve been trying to win the last few years and it hasn’t worked out. Their GM AJ Preller would be conceding defeat by selling at the trade deadline today and setting himself up to get fired after the season ends.

With the Padres record this year they are long shots at having a deep playoff run, but I don’t see them deciding to start over either. Their best strategy (IMO) would be retooling for 2024-25 and explore trades for veterans like Hader and Snell who are going to be free agents. 

Preller should be able to buy himself another year if he can build for next season, but he’s running out of time with this group of players. 

After they got Rich Hill, maybe they can afford to part with their expiring contracted pitchers. I think the Orioles should call about Snell again.