Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Don't forget, though... it's kind of stupid because you can literally take a dump on Fisherman's Wharf while shooting heroin while tweaking on meth and nobody really gives a ****. 

But yeah, get your permit, Mr. Musk.

What does any of that have to do with putting up a big neon sign on top of a building, which can potentially interfere with the sleep of neighbors and potentially be an eyesore? Yes, get your permit Mr. Musk, as everyone else.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wouldn’t trade Bradish, Kremer, Grayson, or Wells for that. But then again, 3/4 of them are better than Cease. Cease isn’t that good. I’d like to get Ed Rod. Lorenzen would be nice. But… we do have the best record in the AL without them. 

Wells just got sent to the minors refresh and Kremer couldn't make through 4 innings against the Yankees.  The rotation needs help. 

Cease didn't get off to the best start this year and may be a bit overrated, but he was the Cy Young runner up last season and has pitched much better lately.  It's particularly silly to say Kremer and Wells are better than Cease.

Just saw the Phillies are near a deal for Lorenzen.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Verlander drove the car on that trade. He had all the leverage with his no trade clause and he had familiar relationships with people in the Astros and the City of Houston. So that’s where he chose to go. The Mets did not have the final say. Verlander chose the deal for them. 

Well he won't be pitching opposite Gibson against us on Saturday as it was scheduled. A win for us too? lol

Edited by Fan4Life

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Reliever is more important to me than starter.  

In retrospect, the Fuji deal is looking more and more brilliant given his upside and what we paid for him.

Hope Elias has another deal like that in him.

• Upvote 3

This was a trade Dan Szymborski from Fangraphs fantasy booked the other day:

P Dylan Cease for INF Jordan Westburg, CF Jud Fabian, SS Joey Ortiz, and P Justin Armbruester

The Orioles have churned out an impressive assortment of hitting prospects the last few years, but the farm system hasn’t been able to come up with starting pitching anywhere near as well. Even assuming that Grayson Rodriguez works out, the Orioles likely need more rotation help and it’s probably going to have to come from outside the organization. That might mean trading away some of their young hitters and watching them succeed elsewhere. The team is contending, but I don’t think the front office is suddenly full of wild gamblers, so I doubt we’ll start seeing names like Coby Mayo or Heston Kjerstad move for short-term rentals.

Dylan Cease, however, is not a short-term rental; the Orioles would get to keep him until the end of the 2025 season. This may be blasphemy to some, but given their respective contract situations, I’d happily give up more for Cease than I would for Ohtani. Westburg’s stock has shot up this year, and with ZiPS seeing him as an above-average starter in the majors right now, the White Sox could reap the benefits of having him on the team very quickly. Since Cease represents significant value, the Pale Hose are going to need to offer more than just Westburg, so I included two interesting offensive prospects in Fabian and Ortiz who could help shore up the organization’s lackluster depth. I also included Armbruester, a little talked-about pitching prospect who probably has a good shot at fitting in the back of the rotation in the not-too-distant future.

The big question is just how available Cease actually is. The White Sox are a mess at the moment, but they’ve given every indication that they think they’ll be contenders in 2024. That might make it difficult to get them to part with Cease without a ridiculously lopsided offer. I don’t think the Orioles would go that far, but it’s certainly worth asking.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-deals-2023-trade-deadline-edition/

Edited by dzorange

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I find it amazing that as old as Palmer is and how he is an former player that he is getting as anxious as us fans about the deadline deals.  I already saw yesterday how he didnt want to give up prospects.   He must be living and dying with the Orioles.   Somehow I always assumed he was above all this.   

It’s our best shot in a long time. He has to be there as scheduled and I’m betting he’s lived through many games he’d like to have turned off.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

A team doesn’t have the best record in the American League on August 1st and have a crappy starting rotation. I agree the Orioles could use another starting pitcher, but I’m not about to trade two top ten or better prospects for a pitcher who might not be a true TOR starter.

Cease might have had his career season last year and will never reach that peak again. Judge him by the body of his entire career. 

The O's aren't in this position off of the strength of their current starting rotation. Plus, their best(arguably) starter from the first half isn't going to be there moving forward. 

The O's are in dire need of a starting pitcher... so it's beyond silly to see the downplaying Cease's ability here. Your depiction of Cease is aggressively pessimistic to anyone who has been watching/paying attention to his career. The full body of his career?? It would be the best pitcher on our staff. Look around. Judge Kremer, Bradish and Gibson by that same standard.

• Confused 1