Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You used a very key word there "used to". That's not the reality of the game right now. It's very hard to "buy" prospect because no one can really afford to sell them. Because of the expense of star contracts in today's game, no team (except the Mets) can really afford to have a roster of them.

I was thinking more of how they used to do it like picking up Scherzer or Verlander... or any other Salary shedding name brand player.

Edited by Fan4Life

9 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I didn't say he was. I was admittedly being simplistic but obviously they were looking for value for an elderly, not nearly as good Verlander. I personally wouldn't have given up anything of major value for him. I don't really think anyone on here would have. My main point in responding was that the poster seemed to be taking Elias to task for not getting Verlander.

I can't knock Elias too much as long as he has one of the worst owners of North American professional sports to answer to. This offseason COMBINEd with the deadline have shown me that he will likely NEVER have any meaningful support under the awful Angelos empire to ever really seriously add to the team.

By the way, to those of you who didn't want any real prospect traded you got your wish. But if this was the plan all along, one has to wonder why would you keep an almost 25 year old Ortiz down almost all season in favor of playing Mateo? That move alone makes entirely no sense if you weren't planning on continuing to hold/build his value for a trade.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I can't knock Elias too much as long as he has one of the worst owners of North American professional sports to answer to. This offseason COMBINEd with the deadline have shown me that he will likely NEVER have any meaningful support under the awful Angelos empire to ever really seriously add to the team.

The capital letters really help the point get across. 

I am very very very fine with today's move.....or really the lack thereof.

I have felt all year that the Os can win and maybe win big.....but if they do?  Let the youngsters do it.  Let this core so to speak come up and develop.  If they win they win.  If not?  So be it but good experience for them.

I really had no desire to trade a youngster who is raking in AAA, even Ortiz, for a 2 month rental.  It makes zero sense.  So the 2 month rental may or may not win 4 games the rest of the regular season and maybeeeeeeee a couple games in the playoffs.  So could Means and G Rod. 

Let us see how we finish....with a very good chance to win this year.....and then see how things go during the offseason and jnto next year and beyond when all of the youngsters in AAA and below, and even Cowser and Westburg....develop more.

I would much rather do that than trade away a Kjerstad who could be a star for a 2 month rental for a team that 'should' only get better the next 3-5 years.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

By the way, to those of you who didn't want any real prospect traded you got your wish. But if this was the plan all along, one has to wonder why would you keep an almost 25 year old Ortiz down almost all season in favor of playing Mateo? That move alone makes entirely no sense if you weren't planning on continuing to hold/build his value for a trade.

Do you ever consider that it takes two teams to make a deal? Good lord. Yes, I wanted more done. But I am not going to make a bad deal just to make a deal. And again, we weren't getting Verlander or Scherzer and I am not really sure I wanted them anyways. So more realistic options: remind me of the returns that Rodriguez and Cease got. There is a reason that they didn't move.