Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I have no doubt they poked the bear on ERod and when they found out it was going to cost some of our upper prospects on the top 100 list he rightly bailed.

This I have no doubt about.. wish his message would have been more in that vein. 

Why do so many of you want to give away a top 50 prospect for what would be a 2 month rental?

It makes no sense.

This team is already very good. Better than expectations.  Let that play out and develop the team into an elite team with elite talent in the pipeline so that you don't delete yourself for 10 years just so you have a 'chance' to win for 1-2 years.

Elias did the right thing and I am completely on board with this. 

I say this as an Oriole fan who grew up in MI going out to my dads car at 8 PM trying to get an O's game on a Blue Jays or Yankees radio telecast and who hated the Tigers lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Judge him in the off-season when teams aren’t trying to take advantage of someone desperate. 

I thought we were supposed to do that last season. I'm going to judge him on how the team finishes the season. In particular how do these additions help and how do the ones that he didn't make help our hurt. For example if we get beat by one of the guys the Rangers acquired in the postseason, I think it's fair to judge him accordingly.

That is unless we find out that McScrooge Angelos was up to his old evil ways as per usual. lol

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Why do so many of you want to give away a top 50 prospect for what would be a 2 month rental?

It makes no sense.

This team is already very good. Better than expectations.  Let that play out and develop the team into an elite team with elite talent in the pipeline so that you don't delete yourself for 10 years just so you have a 'chance' to win for 1-2 years.

Elias did the right thing and I am completely on board with this. 

I say this as an Oriole fan who grew up in MI going out to my dads car at 8 PM trying to get an O's game on a Blue Jays or Yankees radio telecast and who hated the Tigers lol.

To be fair Verlander and Cease were not 2 month rentals.

By the way, who really gave away top 50 talent for a 2 month rental? Texas and who else?

30 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Trading for Flaherty is better than not making any trades at all.

Trading for Flaherty sucks because they should have been able to trade for someone much better.  

Probably at the cost of multiple Top 10 prospects.  I was starting to hope they'd trade for Cease, but I can also see the argument that he's not worth it.  It will be interesting to find out who the Dodgers offered for Eduardo Rodriguez.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a results business but what we want as fans and what ownership wants is not necessarily the same thing.

Elias doesn't answer to the fans.

If they can stay respectable and keep low that might be all ownership wants.

I'm almost certain that is the low bar that ownership is after. It didn't escape me the franchises that Angelos mentioned in terms of what he foresees for the Orioles. Teams that are very cheap and good/decent each year. But not really heavy weights for championship contention.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

For example if we get beat by one of the guys the Rangers acquired in the postseason, I think it's fair to judge him accordingly.

So if Scherzer happens to beat us, you will blame Elias? That's absurd. We were never going to make that deal, nor should we have. 

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I have no doubt they poked the bear on ERod and when they found out it was going to cost some of our upper prospects on the top 100 list he rightly bailed.

I wish they would have poked a little harder on Lorenzen.  The Phillies got him for a high-A infielder considerably less talented than Prieto and nothing else.  The O's could have easily beaten that offer and still have had plenty left for Flaherty.  Lorenzen is not some world-beater but he would have helped.

Just now, lovetoaster said:

So if Scherzer happens to beat us, you will blame Elias? That's absurd. We were never going to make that deal, nor should we have. 

That's your opinion. I happen to have a different one. I am not of the philosophy/opinion that we should not accept any risk, constantly hedge our bets, and horde any prospect with significant value regardless of how many other similar prospects/players you have at the same position.

I'm not accusing you of holding those opinions (I have no idea). But since you felt the need to share you opinion, I figured I would share mine. Just for the sake of mutuality. 😉

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought we were supposed to do that last season. I'm going to judge him on how the team finishes the season. In particular how do these additions help and how do the ones that he didn't make help our hurt. For example if we get beat by one of the guys the Rangers acquired in the postseason, I think it's fair to judge him accordingly.

That is unless we find out that McScrooge Angelos was up to his old evil ways as per usual. lol

They needed this season to see wha5 they have.  They still we need some of next season for the same, but I would be Mateo and maybe Mounty will be gone. 

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I wish they would have poked a little harder on Lorenzen.  The Phillies got him for a high-A infielder considerably less talented than Prieto and nothing else.  The O's could have easily beaten that offer and still have had plenty left for Flaherty.  Lorenzen is not some world-beater but he would have helped.

They appear to value swing-and-miss and high K guys more than the pitch-to-contact types. Flaherty will be fine for 2 months, and probably be rejuvenated a bit playing on a good team.

And Cease wasn't worth the price the White Sox were asking. He's benefited from playing in the crappy AL Central looking at career splits versus <.500 compared to >.500 teams.

He's a good pitcher, but don't expect the 2022 version of him pitching in the AL East.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=ceasedy01&year=Career&t=p

image.thumb.png.a625bc1933eae414a45abbb684a566db.png

Just now, baltfan said:

They needed this season to see wha5 they have.  They still we need some of next season for the same, but I would be Mateo and maybe Mounty will be gone. 

I don't understand what more that you need to see when you are at the top of the standings on August 1. It should be very clear that we have a legit shot and needed a bit of a boost. Maybe I am looking at it all wrong? I guess winning shouldn't really be the chief priority?