Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

20 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Yeah, i heard him too.   I think something like Woo for Cowser and an 11-20 range prospect seems fair to both sides.    The question would be ... is it worth it?   To me, the answer is yes.    

I don’t see why we have to add anything, especially that high of a prospect.

A 1-1 swap should suffice. I mean, Cowser is more highly regarded so unless the Mariners just don’t like his profile or they just deem Woo untouchable, this is a deal that could easily happen.

47 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s looking like Flaherty or Lorenzen.  I’d rather have Flaherty. I don’t think we’ll fool around with Ed Rod’s option. I don’t see the Angelo’s family giving $95 million out of their pockets for Verlander. Plus, I also don’t see the no trade clause waived for Baltimore. Stroman isn’t better that Flaherty. So we are where we are. Flaherty and Carlson would fill holes on the 26 man roster. 

Pathetic if correct. 

Let's not get carried away with Bryan Woo.

Colton Cowser is only a tiny fraction of George Kirby or Logan Gilbert, but Bryan Woo is for me nowhere close to Cowser.

He was a bad college pitcher their models liked, he's had a new to the league run of success, and he had 0 strikeouts in 5 innings the other day with his innings budget already low.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see why we have to add anything, especially that high of a prospect.

A 1-1 swap should suffice. I mean, Cowser is more highly regarded so unless the Mariners just don’t like his profile or they just deem Woo untouchable, this is a deal that could easily happen.

Good point. While i agree it should be an even swap, and i think that's fair... I guess the question is: if they balk at the 1:1 swap, would we be willing to add something just to get that arm.   My answer would be yes.  We need the arm more than the bat... 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

ERA the last 4 years 

Which do you think is the anomaly?

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

ERA the last 4 years 

Which do you think is the anomaly?

Lots of pitchers take 2-3 years to figure it out.  So the first 3 years make sense culminating in a great year last year.  The key is figuring out if that was the anamoly and if that pitcher is still in there.   I don’t think it’s quite as simple as looking at 4 years and saying which is not like the other.   He could actually be a “buy low” option if you believe he’s a TOR pitcher.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Let's not get carried away with Bryan Woo.

Colton Cowser is only a tiny fraction of George Kirby or Logan Gilbert, but Bryan Woo is for me nowhere close to Cowser.

He was a bad college pitcher their models liked, he's had a new to the league run of success, and he had 0 strikeouts in 5 innings the other day with his innings budget already low.

I agree @Just Regular.    The REAL pitcher to target is Logan Gilbert.   But i cannot see them parting with him for Cowser.   That's why I chose to focus on Woo.       Woo is one of those pitchers you would have to trust your coaches to see something they can identify to fix.    Kirby is an interesting target, but again, i don't think offering just Cowser would get him.    

Would Cowser + Ortiz get us Kirby or Gilbert?   Is that an overpay?

2 minutes ago, Keygans said:

I agree @Just Regular.    The REAL pitcher to target is Logan Gilbert.   But i cannot see them parting with him for Cowser.   That's why I chose to focus on Woo.       Woo is one of those pitchers you would have to trust your coaches to see something they can identify to fix.    Kirby is an interesting target, but again, i don't think offering just Cowser would get him.    

Would Cowser + Ortiz get us Kirby or Gilbert?   Is that an overpay?

I don't believe it would get us either of them.  We would need to add another piece for Gilbert, and even more for Kirby,  That's how valued they are... rightfully so.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I don't believe it would get us either of them.  We would need to add another piece for Gilbert, and even more for Kirby,  That's how valued they are... rightfully so.

Yeah... that's what i feared which draws back to my first post.  It might take Cowser + to even get Woo.      I am just convinced now, especially with the other trades that have been made, we are going to have to "overpay'' to get a good arm and ... the real question is... is it worth it?

3 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Yeah... that's what i feared which draws back to my first post.  It might take Cowser + to even get Woo.      I am just convinced now, especially with the other trades that have been made, we are going to have to "overpay'' to get a good arm and ... the real question is... is it worth it?

I don't believe we would need to add to Cowser to get Woo, because I think Cowser has more value than Woo.  Hard to say with any certainty though.

In other words, I wouldn't trade Cowser for Woo.

Edited by Greg Pappas

16 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Good point. While i agree it should be an even swap, and i think that's fair... I guess the question is: if they balk at the 1:1 swap, would we be willing to add something just to get that arm.   My answer would be yes.  We need the arm more than the bat... 

I don’t know. I think if I added anything, it would need to be to expand the deal and get a reliever back. 

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

There is a frequent reference to a group of about 6 prospects starting with Holliday.  I don't think anyone but Holliday should be untouchable.  So 2 of Cowser, Mayo, Kjerstad, Westbury and Gray Rod (or whoever are your next 5 prospects after Holliday).

I would do that, but since we are thin on pitching I wouldn't trade Rodriguez, because then our return is just filling a new hole that we've just created. 

32 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think two possible "buy-side" formulations right now might be:

A. Matz and Carlson

B. Teoscar and Sewald, if Dipoto gets to the Trey Mancini-Jorge Lopez gameplan and makes Julio Rodriguez and all his All-Star caliber starting pitchers mad.

I wonder if Mountcastle could swing a Sewald/Teoscar get.     A 2024 Mariners offense might be a Goldilocks spot for Mountcastle to get the 650 PA next year he won't be able to earn here.

You're not getting a very good closer, with an extra year of control for Mountcastle. That's also ignoring that Seattle already has Ty France, who despite having a down year, is still outperforming Mountcastle and was considerably better in 2022 and 2021.