Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Exactly.  It'd probably take the Mets eating 80 - 90% of Verlander's remaining salary on the next 1.5 seasons for our front office to really strongly be considering it.  And that's a crazy amount to pay for the return.

As much as we all hate on John Angelos we have to admit he did what his father couldnt do in thirty years.  He hired a GM that was actually good and has us on the edge of the playoffs with an almost entirely home grown team.  It seems to me once Peter stopped calling the shots John got the team on a better footing.  

Granted John still puts his foot in his mouth and the in fighting with his brother is unseemly and embarrassing and his mother lead to the firing of John Lowenstein and Jon Miller.   But that was then.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Civale seems like the type of guy they can get a lot out of.   I do agree that it's against their normal MO to give up a top-level prospect for a guy that's not an "Ace".

Jamie Moyer struck out 2441 in 4074 innings. Civale 370 in 430…Pitchers can be successful without having a 9 K/9 

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm honestly not worried if they stand pat and see how far it gets them. I believe Elias will try to work out some young controlled pitching for some of our young controllable bats when emotions aren't high and teams are in panic mode to win it all right now and make bad choices.

That's where I'm at too. 

Would I like to see some IF depth traded now so Ortiz can see the light of day?  Yes.  Would I like the BP upgraded or a stud TOR brought in?  Absolutely.  But irrational exhuberance is a thing.  I just don't think the manic/panic buyers are done though.  

C’mon Elias! Make at least one move that shows the team is serious about winning this year. It has been 40 years!

Yes you get credit for building a great farm system that will help us be competitive for years to come and I know many fans don’t want to trade one of the young guys but those guys won’t help us win THIS YEAR. And yes, Angelos doesn’t have the money to increase the payroll compared to other teams but it’s been a long 6 years, can we just go for it now!

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I would have been upset sending Kjerstad for Civale.

Me too. I prefer Kjerstad more than I do Cowser. His bat can change a game in an instant. The only real concern is if he can remain healthy and not have to worry about myocarditis ever again.

17 minutes ago, Malike said:

If we give up anything of value for Verlander it's going to be because Cohen pays virtually all of the salary. He's said he would pay 50 million dollars for a good prospect, the man has more money than sense.

Would you give up Holiday if they agreed to pay his whole remaining salary. I wouldn’t ….don’t think Elias would either. If I’m the Mets owner that’s the kind of prospect I’d expect for 50 million dollars

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

You do realize that good prospects are worth $50 million, right?   Fangraphs had 55 FV position players worth $46 million 5 years ago.  Idk if they have an updated article but they’re definitely worth more than that now. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/

Sure, if they pan out. Most of the players on a top 100 prospect list will be below-average ML players, especially outside of the top 20.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Sure, if they pan out. Most of the players on a top 100 prospect list will be below-average ML players, especially outside of the top 20.

I’m pretty sure that’s factored in.  If they pan out, they’re worth more than $50 million. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

So the Rays gave up Kyle Manzardo (1B), MLB's 37th ranked prospect. For context Kjerstad is is 36. There's no way I would have given up Kjrstad for Civale. 

If the Orioles were in on him, I wonder if Westburg was the guy being talked about.  Would makes sense him being taken out of the game.  

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That's where I'm at too. 

Would I like to see some IF depth traded now so Ortiz can see the light of day?  Yes.  Would I like the BP upgraded or a stud TOR brought in?  Absolutely.  But irrational exhuberance is a thing.  I just don't think the manic/panic buyers are done though.  

Yes. Everybody seemed convinced the New York Mets won the offseason with their moves last winter, and look where it got them. 

The Orioles need another starting pitcher and another reliever. Would I be willing to significantly overpay in order to "win now"? As happy as it would make the Ken Rosenthals of the world, no. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Me too. I prefer Kjerstad more than I do Cowser. His bat can change a game in an instant. The only real concern is if he can remain healthy and not have to worry about myocarditis ever again.

This was a known covid complication among the young.  With the timing of when it happened, it feels more likely that it was caused by that (and it won't be a recurring problem) than something like a genetic condition.  Not that we could know for certain. 

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

That's where I'm at too. 

I hear what you and @Malike are saying but based on what some of these rental pitchers have been traded for it would be very disappointing if we do not make a similar move to improve our chances this season.  We are going to be in first place in the AL East in August and we have a clear need for another starter.  Not even saying a TOR starter, like just a guy who can go out and have a chance to have a quality start.  Wells has already been demoted and most likely will be in the pen when he returns.  The spot in the rotation is already open, the move just needs to be made. 

20 minutes ago, O's84 said:

He'd be an ok target, (though I do expect a little regression) but will Elias pull the trigger? Look, I do think the odds say he'll do something, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a meh SP.  Which to me is almost like standing pat, even if it's just eating the innings.

As for winning the division, yes. It would be huge for the bye and to be able to rest our pitching staff given the Verducii effect (though Elias hasn't said anything to strictly adhere to that.  I just worry because what may have happened to Wells.).  We really have a decent shot at it so Elias, get it done!

I can see Wells back in the rotation at some point but my bet is he is in the pen during the playoffs. 

25 minutes ago, Malike said:

I know Scherzer has lost his fastball and stuff, but Verlander is not the same guy he was either. He's had a decent run since the ASB but he's pretty much getting by right now and walks are way up and strikeouts are way down. They can value him all they want, but he's not the same pitcher he was last year, not even close.

There was a reason the Mets are sellers and it's not because Scherzer and Verlander were at their best. Verlander has pitched well of late, but at 40-uears old, the Mets would have to eat a lot of that contract over the next few years or be willing to take a prospect like Hudson Haskins in return in a salary dump. Then the question is, do any of us think John Angelos, who is making money hand over fist right now, would greenlight trading for a 40-year old pitcher who is owed $43,333,333 next year with a $35,000,000 vested option that kicks in at 140 innings?

None of this sounds like the M.O. for this organization or Elias.

• Upvote 2