Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think they have to believe they are in or out of it to trade Woo or Miller for Cowser(for example).

Probably easier to pry Woo away than anyone else in that rotation and I'd be okay with a Cowser for Woo. We'd be trading to developing rookies who are both struggling at the ML level.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People clamoring for Verlander…why?

We are all desperate for the Orioles to add and he's a name.  We won't though.  Just like the off season, and last trade deadline, and the previous off season.  The owner only cares about putting money in his pocket.

Edited by Ripken
  • Upvote 1

Do we think that waiting until after a bunch of transactions by other teams have already been made drives the price up or down for us? There's less supply but also less demand.

My guess is that waiting until now is going to get the O's a better price than if they had moved early. Elias can credibly tell another GM that the O's are in no rush and are fine sitting pat unless they meet their price. And I think sellers are much more motivated to accrue some value on a depreciating asset.

19 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Verlander has to approve any location he is traded to because he has a no trade clause. So if wouldn't sign somewhere, then he wouldn't  be traded there either. 

That said, we don't know what teams and locations would be acceptable to Justin and Kate and their family to locate to for the season in an effort to cement his legacy and potentially retire a champion after winning the World Series again.

This isn't true.  If you can go to a first place team, its certainly attractive.  Especially if you're 40 and want to win.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Probably easier to pry Woo away than anyone else in that rotation and I'd be okay with a Cowser for Woo. We'd be trading to developing rookies who are both struggling at the ML level.

That seems like a lot of faith in a 6th round pick whose track record of success in the minors basically amounts to 9 starts in AA earlier this year. I know he has a bunch of years of control remaining, but he could easily end up spending them as a reliever.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People clamoring for Verlander…why?

FWIW Mets fan Eno Sarris on today's podcast gave the take he feels Verlander has held more of his value than Scherzer and he still believes in him as an Ace.

Psychobabble Verlander could mentor Grayson in a way Lyles/Gibson never could.

Just now, deward said:

That seems like a lot of faith in a 6th round pick whose track record of success in the minors basically amounts to 9 starts in AA earlier this year. I know he has a bunch of years of control remaining, but he could easily end up spending them as a reliever.

Right, they've rushed him after 101 IP in the minors combined, and he's holding his own. We didn't rush Cowser and he can't hit the water if he falls out of a boat. It's a risk for both teams.

I think Verlander's experience alone would be a great fit, but I doubt he waives his no trade clause to come to Baltimore. I think before that happens he probably tells the Mets to get the deal done with the Astros or even Dodgers before he would consider Baltimore. Now that being said I wonder what type of relationship if any he has with Elias from previous Houston days?

8 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I think Verlander's experience alone would be a great fit, but I doubt he waives his no trade clause to come to Baltimore. I think before that happens he probably tells the Mets to get the deal done with the Astros or even Dodgers before he would consider Baltimore. Now that being said I wonder what type of relationship if any he has with Elias from previous Houston days?

They crossed paths for less than half a season, I can't imagine it would be that much but who knows. They are both from Virginia, so they have that in common!