Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That extremely debatable

Debatable in terms of which SPs are on the market? Or debatable in that he might not be better than the known pitchers on the market? He’s certainly better than Flaherty and Lorenzen (and not by a little) and I’d certainly trust him to perform more than I’d trust, say, Cease. 

6 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Interesting.  If this isn't the official flag of "The Seattle Mariners have decided to sell, not buy," then I don't know what would be.

I'm pretty sure Jerry Dipoto just can't help himself; it wouldn't surprise me if he sold off half those acquired prospects before tomorrow for something else. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Doesn't look like they gave up anything of significance for Sewald. Of course, he's a 33-year-old who has accumulated less WAR in 7 seasons combined than Felix Bautista has this year. 

Edited by Malike

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Well, Fangraphs doesn't seem to be particularly high on the prospects involved:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/arizona-diamondbacks-top-44-prospects-2023/

Bliss 40FV #25 in system
Canzone 35+FV #33 in system
Josh Rojas is a 29-yo journeyman

Perhaps these rankings are dated as Bliss and Canzone appear to be mashing in 2023 (AA w/ a recent promotion and AAA, respectively

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

Right, they've rushed him after 101 IP in the minors combined, and he's holding his own. We didn't rush Cowser and he can't hit the water if he falls out of a boat. It's a risk for both teams.

Cowser has 605 PA in the upper minors that strongly suggest that he's a good hitter, vs 59 MLB PA where he's scuffled (while maintaining his plate discipline). Woo has 44 innings of success at AA (after not pitching well at all in high-A), and 49 IP in the big leagues where he's been ok-ish. The scouting reports say he has a good fastball, but undeveloped secondaries, so he's been trying to get by just living off the fastball. I think we all know how that story often ends.

I'm not saying Woo doesn't have potential upside, but I can't imagine that Cowser's trade value wouldn't be enough to bring in someone with more of a track record.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Doesn't look like gave up anything of significance for Sewald. Of course, he's a 33-year-old who has accumulated less WAR in 7 seasons combined than Felix Bautista has this year. 

His K rate is impressive but he does let up the long ball. 

It’s funny. It’s a sellers market but they buyers don’t seem to be paying above the sticker price. 

Structurally, that Sewald move similar to NYM Robertson a few days ago.    Except Seattle's star pitchers have many not few years ahead.

I'd guess they hope Canzone becomes an everyday outfielder short term.     Longer term Bliss was an SEC infielder who got about 80% of Norby bonus money and was having a good year in AA.      I could see Canzone/Bliss kind of like Stowers/Norby.

Just now, deward said:

Cowser has 605 PA in the upper minors that strongly suggest that he's a good hitter, vs 59 MLB PA where he's scuffled (while maintaining his plate discipline). Woo has 44 innings of success at AA (after not pitching well at all in high-A), and 49 IP in the big leagues where he's been ok-ish. The scouting reports say he has a good fastball, but undeveloped secondaries, so he's been trying to get by just living off the fastball. I think we all know how that story often ends.

I'm not saying Woo doesn't have potential upside, but I can't imagine that Cowser's trade value wouldn't be enough to bring in someone with more of a track record.

Woo has shown a lot more at 23 in his first 10 starts than Rodriguez did. He has an electric arm and developing off-speed pitches. If you aren't impressed that the's had so little time in the minors and has pitched better than the number 1 pitching prospect in baseball this year, that's cool. I don't think it's a bad trade, there is an upside for both teams here and it would be a fair trade.

20 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I think Verlander's experience alone would be a great fit, but I doubt he waives his no trade clause to come to Baltimore. I think before that happens he probably tells the Mets to get the deal done with the Astros or even Dodgers before he would consider Baltimore. Now that being said I wonder what type of relationship if any he has with Elias from previous Houston days?

Verlander is from VA and Os are in first place. Why wouldn’t he come here?