Felix vs the Otter

DrungoHazewood

4 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

What I mean is that if the results aren't better (and I don't know if anyone will ever have better results than Britton's 2016), then the intimidation (which as you say, should show up in the results) doesn't really mean anything no, it's just aesthetics / cognitive biases on our side, no?

I can see arguments on longevity or multiple seasons worth of results. But Britton 2016, I'm not sure I'll ever see a closer that matches or beats that. 

I’ll take the 17.6/9 K rate & 1.45 FIP to the bank.  Britton relied on his D - Bautista relies on himself.  We can stack up seasons and take a look when this one is over.  If I had to chose between the two players I’m taking Bautista.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I absolutely hated what Randy Myers did to my mental health from 1996-1997!  It wasn't just the walks and hits before getting the final out, it was the walk around the dang mound between Every. Single. Pitch. 

I dunno about the walkarounds, but you must be remembering 1996 (1.517 WHIP) not 1997 (1.156). That's like batting .304 one year and .230 the next. With that WHIP range Myers was similar to Olson, whose best year of the five was 1992 (1.141) and worst was 1991 (1.398). Now compare Stanhouse '78-'79 (1.500, 1.376) with the Mountain (0.929, 0.857).

But of course the real difference maker is Bautista's K rate off the charts. 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I’ll take the 17.6/9 K rate & 1.45 FIP to the bank.  Britton relied on his D - Bautista relies on himself.  We can stack up seasons and take a look when this one is over.  If I had to chose between the two players I’m taking Bautista.  

Yeah, that's fair, I can see where you guys' argument comes from. 

I'm still taking a 79% GB percentage while still striking out 9.9/ 9. Just never seen that level of dominance myself. 

Félix is absolutely amazing, and probably never seen this level of K dominance, but I feel like there's been more nervousness or worry of blowing it, or times where it's actually been blown, than there was with Britton that season in 2016. With Britton in 2016 it felt pretty damn near automatic. (EDIT: he didn't blow a save in 2016, so it make sense I felt that way.)

Edited by Flash- bd
  • Like 1