Scoreboard watching

Frobby

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Good teams don’t lose 5 straight

The 1983 Orioles had two 7 game losing streaks. Baseball season is a marathon and even great teams can run into a bad week.

The 2000 Yankees closed out the regular season on a 3-15 stretch limping into the playoffs. I don't foresee anything like that happening to this Orioles teams, but a small losing streak isn't out of the question even now. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

2 hours ago, Getz said:

I feel like we have them. If the Orioles go 12-11 in their final 23 games (with only one of those wins coming in a four game series vs Tampa), the Rays would have to finish the season 16-5 to win the AL East.

Orioles are on the cusp and barring some collapse if they take care of business against the Rays next weekend they will pretty much lock up the AL East.

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The 1983 Orioles had two 7 game losing streaks. Baseball season is a marathon and even great teams can run into a bad week.

The 2000 Yankees closed out the regular season on a 3-15 stretch limping into the playoffs. I don't foresee anything like that happening to this Orioles teams, but a small losing streak isn't out of the question even now. 

A losing streak is never out of the question until a team has run out of games. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

After the Rays comeback last night Kirby said he didn't want to be out of here in the 7th after being at 90 pitches in the 6th. Can't remember seeing anything like that before although he came out of his previous start after 3 IP. Glad we still have a good lead on the Rays.

Good Lord that’s pathetic. Imagine Scherzer or Verlander saying something like that, or HoFers like Mussina or Pedro Martinez. 

I wonder if we'll see more pitchers with Kirby's perspective as guys enter the league who grew up with more analytic knowledge. 

Say you know about the times through the order penalty and you get punished the third time through the order when it was debatable to pull you. You might feel like your performance, the team's result in the game, and even your future arbitration earnings, are suffering because of a bad managerial decision. 

Not really defending Kirby's exact comments as I think they come across a bit bitter and me-first. But don't be surprised if more pitchers enter the league who put more pride in pitching their best for a shorter period of time, as opposed to the old school pitch til you drop. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting candor from Kirby.     To the extent people like Matt Blood, androids like the SigBot, and some younger MLB Arms understand all the dynamics at play, they're all singing from the same hymnal.     Last night their Top 2 relievers had both worked TUE-WED-THU so might as well not even have come to the ballpark.

It probably would have been even more astute for Kirby to give that context in that moment.

Set against it is the tradition of Old Hoss Radbourn and Tungsten Arm O'Doyle.

Somebody named Trent Blank is their Director of Pitching Strategy.