Tuesday, July 25: Kyle Gibson faces former teammates as Orioles try to win series in Philadelphia

SteveA

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Mateo can be a great fielder and a decent hitter. At this point, much of his problem has to mental/lack of confidence. Can that be fixed?  :confused:

NY couldnt fix him.  Oakland couldnt fix him.  San Diego couldnt fix him.  The Orioles let him play 300 freaking games and couldnt get anything consistant out of him.  I say we let some other team try.  Maybe he needs to fail so much doing his own thing that finally he gets beat down and humbled by it all and just does what the coaches tell him.  I dont know.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I would rather have Mateo on the bench than Frazier. At least Mateo is plus at a couple of things even if not elite anymore. Frazier does nothing particularly well.

People need to get the idea of Frazier not being on this team till the end of the year out of their heads. They aren’t getting rid of Frazier. As much as we may want it.

Mateo on the other hand has almost cost us multiple games, can’t hit, was a big reason we didn’t go to extras today and has 2 stolen bases in 16 games. All this while we have our best defensive shortstop wallowing in AAA. With a .979 OPS.

Edited by Mooreisbetter27
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Somebody will give up something for him. But if not, I'm ok with him being DFA'd at this time. It's hurting the team consistently in the field which is the one place he's supposed to be helpful.

Mateo now primarily being a bench player is affecting him mentally and with his focus on the field. Mateo knows he's likely on the way out by the end of the year and he isn't handling it well.

If Mateo was playing everyday, I don't think his defense would be so shoddy right now. Mateo needs to view his playing time right now as a try out for his next team.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I would rather have Mateo on the bench than Frazier. At least Mateo is plus at a couple of things even if not elite anymore. Frazier does nothing particularly well.

Frazier went 2 for 4 today including a double and a 2 out RBI.  

• Upvote 3

Hyde is completely right here. You can’t put this level of pressure on pitchers every outing. Offense needs to stay up. People seem to forget that the great, and he is great, Bautista has 5 blown saves.  One run games are tough. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Like what?  He isn't stealing bases and his defense kinda sucks now.

For stolen bases he's 23/26 in 84 games this year and was 35/44 last year in 150 games. By far the fastest player on the team. And his defense doesn't suck, it's just not GG level.

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

People need to get the idea of Frazier not being on this team till the end of the year out of their heads. They aren’t getting rid of Frazier. As much as we may want it.

Mateo on the other hand has almost cost us multiple games, can’t hit, was a big reason we didn’t go to extras today and has 2 stolen bases in 16 games. All this while we have our best defensive shortstop wallowing in AAA. 

I have my issues with Frazier, but he's solid and comes up with big hits. Also Frazier doesn't seem to let a bad performance keep him in a funk and he keeps coming up with big plays.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mateo now primarily being a bench player is affecting him mentally and with his focus on the field. Mateo knows he's likely on the way out by the end of the year and he isn't handling it well.

If Mateo was playing everyday, I don't think his defense would be so shoddy right now. Mateo needs to view his playing time right now as a try out for his next team.

I agree but hard to imagine any team giving him a starting SS position anymore unless someone is on the IL.  Mateo is a starting minor league shortstop at this point.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He did nothing wrong today. This team has to win with a variety of people.  Cano still hase an ERA below 2.00. Guys get scored on. He just doesn’t give up bombs typically. 

He should have used Batista, that is what he did wrong. He should do what is necessary to win. Every other team with a 1 run lead uses their best closer to win.  WS teams use their best closer to win. Hyde is the blame for this loss, no doubt. He Batista blew the game, then Hyde is not the blame.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Hyde is completely right here. You can’t put this level of pressure on pitchers every outing. Offense needs to stay up. People seem to forget that the great, and he is great, Bautista has 5 blown saves.  One run games are tough. 

Well Hyde should beg Elias to let an outfielder come up who is mashing the ball.  Hjerstad.  He should beg to have  SS come up who is hitting well over .300 with pop and can out play Mateo and Frazier in their positions.  We have options.  

We need to use them.  

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

For stolen bases he's 23/26 in 84 games this year and was 35/44 last year in 150 games. By far the fastest player on the team. And his defense doesn't suck, it's just not GG level.

We had a clear stolen base need/opportunity tonight and he never even tried.  Two steals in his last 16 games.  His defense is below Ortiz and Gunnar at SS and that still leaves Westburg and Urias in the IF.  Mateo doesn't add a single thing to this team and needed to be gone some time ago.