Tuesday, July 25: Kyle Gibson faces former teammates as Orioles try to win series in Philadelphia

SteveA

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

We were Mateo/Cano'd. 

Is that a joke? Cano is having one of the more unexpected GREAT baseball seasons IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME and you act like him coming up short is a regular thing?

The thing I hate about being an Orioles fan is coming on here and seeing the fans just trash the players. THe other day it was, "Let's trade Austin Hays." Imagine if someone was that ruthless with your job. You've been a great employee for 5 years when the company was struggling, but now the company is rocking it and decides they are going to ship you out of town.  I get it. Sports is different than than the real world but I'd much rather just be in the playoff hunt every year with guys I know and recognize than changing 25% of the roster for an all-in at the trade deadline.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Rojo13 said:

Is that a joke? Cano is having one of the more unexpected GREAT baseball seasons IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME and you act like him coming up short is a regular thing?

The thing I hate about being an Orioles fan is coming on here and seeing the fans just trash the players. THe other day it was, "Let's trade Austin Hays." Imagine if someone was that ruthless with your job. You've been a great employee for 5 years when the company was struggling, but now the company is rocking it and decides they are going to ship you out of town.  I get it. Sports is different than than the real world but I'd much rather just be in the playoff hunt every year with guys I know and recognize than changing 25% of the roster for an all-in at the trade deadline.

I was talking about this game, not about his entire year. Mateo's inability make a fairly routine play and Cano inability to stop his pitches from getting barrelled up caused them to blow a one run lead and lose the game.

This is also the game thread where emotional reactions are allowed and not "analyzed." You honestly, I could care less how you feel and if you hate being here so much, leave. I have zero time dealing with people like yourself who find any kind of criticism as hatred towards a player. 

So the next time you decide to come after me with your BS, know what thread you are in.

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I have no issue with the way Hyde managed the game. It's not his fault that we have nobody that can drive in runs when the bases are loaded with no outs.

We are stuck in situations where we have to over use Bautista and Cano just about every night because we can't score enough runs. We keep blowing opportunity with runners on the bases and no one to convert them into runs.

Not every game should be so close like all our games seem to be. We should be scoring more runs and putting less stress on our pitchers.

Cano has been over used and now he's practically got dead arm and can't maintain the same arm slot he had when he was dominating at the end of the year.

Bautista was unavailable because they don't want him to break down and watch our season slip away completely.

If we convert our opportunities into runs on the score board, we don't need to use those guys so much. We would be in a much better situation going deep into the season and the playoffs.

Now with that said, I will agree that we still need another arm upgrade or 2. But we also need a big bat that can give us alot of consistent RBIs in the next 3 months.

Perhaps you missed my post in his thread, but the statcast data does not suggest a tired arm or a change on his arm angle. I know Ben keeps saying it, but it's not true if the data is to be believed. 

Batters have adjusted to his stuff and he can't live in the middle of the plate like he was able to a bit earlier in the year when he was getting swing and miss in the middle of the plate. 

Cano is going to need to make better located pitches.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rojo13 said:

There are many businesses that will absolutely cut a loyal and productive employee for short term gain.  

13 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I have no issue with the way Hyde managed the game. It's not his fault that we have nobody that can drive in runs when the bases are loaded with no outs.

We are stuck in situations where we have to over use Bautista and Cano just about every night because we can't score enough runs. We keep blowing opportunity with runners on the bases and no one to convert them into runs.

Not every game should be so close like all our games seem to be. We should be scoring more runs and putting less stress on our pitchers.

Cano has been over used and now he's practically got dead arm and can't maintain the same arm slot he had when he was dominating at the end of the year.

Bautista was unavailable because they don't want him to break down and watch our season slip away completely.

If we convert our opportunities into runs on the score board, we don't need to use those guys so much. We would be in a much better situation going deep into the season and the playoffs.

Now with that said, I will agree that we still need another arm upgrade or 2. But we also need a big bat that can give us alot of consistent RBIs in the next 3 months.

Hopefully, Fujinami is a big step in the right direction. He sparkled (low WHIP, high Ks) in 8 of his last 9 games with the A's. Perez continuing to improve can also be a big plus and maybe even take over Cano's role, which was basically his last season. Not as optimistic that Baker can recapture his excellent 2022 second-half, altho the fact he had a killer final month might be a good omen. Need Baumann and Coulombe to keep it together--so far they've been a fine replacement for last year's Tate and assorted others. If we get more big leads in the 9th, they and Perez can be used to help preserve Bautista's arm....

As far as RBIs are concerned, Mountcastle seems to be surging and O'Hearn remains surprisingly locked in. When Mullins and Hicks return is a big question as well as Mateo's amount of playing time--the combination of Henderson, Urias, Frazier, and Westburg might be able to supply enough offense, but it's iffy and the defense has to be good enough to balance out what will probably be overall mediocre hitting: none of them are providing a monster year at the plate and I'm not counting on that changing.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps you missed my post in his thread, but the statcast data does not suggest a tired arm or a change on his arm angle. I know Ben keeps saying it, but it's not true if the data is to be believed. 

Batters have adjusted to his stuff and he can't live in the middle of the plate like he was able to a bit earlier in the year when he was getting swing and miss in the middle of the plate. 

Cano is going to need to make better located pitches.

Tony-OH I saw a chart of his arm angle that showed it lower.  I am trying to find it.  Also the announcers confirmed that Darren Holmes said his arm slot was lower and they were working on it.   Statcast to my knowledge doesn't show whether motion is late.  The pitches undeniably don't look the same.  If you look at the movement in this article below, it's later than what we are seeing now and more dramatic.  This is true especially of the sinker.  I will admit that some of his changes of late have look similar to the one in this article.  I do wonder if he is trying to throw the sinker too hard.  It seems his velocity more often is in the 97mph range now.  If you look on the link below, both sinkers are at 95mph.

Yennier Cano is (Ca)No Joke | FanGraphs Baseball