What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

I would rather have Mateo on the bench than Frazier. Mateo's defense and speed aren't good/useful enough to justify the holes in his bat, but they're still usable skills from the bench. Does Frazier do a single thing well?

But Joey should have been starting over Jorge a long time ago now. If Hyde felt like he needed some reason to justify the optics of sitting Mateo down for another rookie, he has it after these past few games.

Would be nice to include him in a package for whatever middle relief they (hopefully) trade for before the deadline. Obviously a lesser piece, but addition by subtraction at this point. Send teams his game tapes from April only. :)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I would rather have Mateo on the bench than Frazier. Mateo's defense and speed aren't good/useful enough to justify the holes in his bat, but they're still usable skills from the bench. Does Frazier do a single thing well?

But Joey should have been starting over Jorge a long time ago now. If Hyde felt like he needed some reason to justify the optics of sitting Mateo down for another rookie, he has it after these past few games.

I don't understand the trashing of Frazier.  Yes he does something well.  He is a gamer.  He can get the bunt down when needed, make contact to get a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 out, get clutch hits in the late innings and even  clutch homeruns in the late innings.  His defense is not awesome but it's not dreadful either.  Mateo can run fast and he used to be a reliable defender.  He's blown 3 plays in the last 5 games late in the game that have been costly.  Frazier is contributing a lot more than Mateo at this point.

• Upvote 2