What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take 2024 Holliday bat/glove over 2023 Frazier at second.  Or Mateo for that matter.

If we can hold serve, or improve, while not impeding Holliday it's smart to do so.

There is a good argument for Holliday beginning the 2024 season in the majors.    If he plays the whole year in the majors and finishes in the top 3 for rookie of the year the O's get a draft choice after the first round.

The O's did this successfully with Gunnar.   And with Holliday being minor league player of the year he could be in line to do the same.

Just now, wildcard said:

There is a good argument for Holliday beginning the 2024 season in the majors.    If he plays the whole year in the majors and finishes in the top 3 for rookie of the year the O's get a draft choice after the first round.

The O's did this successfully with Gunnar.   And with Holliday being minor league player of the year he could be in line to do the same.

I’d rather have Holliday for another year than a draft pick.

Of course, you could just extend him now and not worry about it.

The Orioles have a lot of 40 man roster management decisions to make and I expect a plethora of trades and DFAs this Winter. There are many players in the organization that are floating around that cusp of being a DFA, part of a small lottery ticket trade, or potentially retained for 2024. 

This is where I feel Mateo fits in. He has value, but because of past performance, his tools, and cost he has different value depending on the potentially interested team.

Along with Mateo, you also have Hicks, Urias, Cionel Perez, Jacob Webb, Cole Irvin, Vavra, Akin, Dillon Tate, McKenna, Stowers, Zimmerman, Baker, Krehbeil, and Baumann

This group can provide value to other teams if Elias feels he can fill our roster with better value in 2024.  Of these 15 names, my guess is about 1/3 are DFAd, 1/3 are traded, and 1/3 are retained for 2024

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it’s a very different situation in terms of Holliday’s chances of being a top ROY candidate compared to Gunnar.  Yes, they both were MiL player of the year, but for me the similarities end there:

- Gunnar was 21-22 this season.  Holliday will be 20 next year.

- Gunnar had a month of major league play under his belt and had already shown himself to be a solid major league performer in that month.  Holliday hasn’t done that.

- Gunnar had 295 PA in AAA at 137 wRC+.  Holliday had 91 PA at 109 OPS+.

- Gunnar had 208 PA in AA last year at 176 wRC+.  Holliday had 164 PA at 154 OPS+.

- By most accounts, Gunnar was further along defensively than Holliday is.

So, none of this is to say that it’s certain that Holliday won’t be ready to be a top ROY candidate next spring.   But I think Gunnar was much better positioned to do so, being older, more experienced and having performed better at the top levels.   Holliday might turn out to be as good or better than Gunnar down the road, but I think it would be asking a lot to expect him to be a top ROY candidate in 2024, at age 20, despite all his success this year.