2023 Trade Deadline Hot Stove

RVAOsFan

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Don't ask me. I agree with you. I'm just reporting the link where everyone can keep up with the news.

My guess is some GMs are getting carried away with the rush of the deadline and the urgency to make a move-ANY move just because it's a deadline.

I don't think the Dodgers and Rays get caught up in desperation mode very often.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Wow, Angels going for it. Giolito was a popular choice to land in Baltimore. One less SP available. 

Their number 2 prospect, number 65 in MLB and their number 3 prospect , Bush ..their farm was rated 28/30 after the draft .. now it has zip .. after Trout and Ohtani are gone Angels will be a last place team for five years 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Their number 2 prospect, number 65 in MLB and their number 3 prospect , Bush ..their farm was rated 28/30 after the draft .. now it has zip .. after Trout and Ohtani are gone Angels will be a last place team for five years 

Do you really think these two prospects were going to save their franchise? How can you possibly fault them for going for it before they fall into the abyss of seasonal medicority. 

4 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Do you really think these two prospects were going to save their franchise? How can you possibly fault them for going for it before they fall into the abyss of seasonal medicority. 

Yeah “going for it” lol .. the mighty Angels may make a last wildcard .. not

and they have not had a winning record in how long? With Ohtani and Trout?  So they have already been in the seasonal mediocrity.. now they will enter the land of the basement 

This same lack of foresight in thinking you could “go for it” when you had a high likelihood of failure is good to watch other teams do 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

and they have not had a winning record in how long? With Ohtani and Trout?  So they have already been in the seasonal mediocrity.. now they will enter the land of the basement 

This same lack of foresight in thinking you could “go for it” when you had a high likelihood of failure is good to watch other teams do 

You keep the two prospects that they traded and add a reasonable return for Ohtani and what does that leave them?

Mediocrity.

A downturn is seemingly inevitable at this point so I can see the line of thinking that leads the owner to commit to one last push.

This die was cast years ago.

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I haven't seen such ill guided use of "going for it" since Buck Showalter, Dan Duquette 2018.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The fate of this team was decided long ago. If you want to argue that they should have traded Ohtani (to restock their farm system) that's fine, but what they gave up isn't going to move the needle (long term) on their success. They also have a better catching prospect, so one of the players was even blocked. Again, I'm not defending the Angels long term because most of their decisions (FA signings, etc.) have been head scratchers, but I really think you're making too much of a big deal out of these particular prospects. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

And right on cue (I will guess we won't learn the Soto hand MRI results anytime too soon)....

I have said that for month.  They are too far gone and have not played any better lately.  You are going to have to win 90 games or so to make the wild card.  Eventually reality hits as they have to go 41-18 or almost .700 baseball that not happening.