Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Yeah... I was thinking we may entertain bringing on Goldschmidt who has another year until Mayo is ready and use our 1b resources to get some pitching.. but that would break up the clubhouse somewhat, how important do you think Elias considers that?

I’d say more than usual since this team and coaching staff has started winning together. They’re still human beings. Even a guy like Hicks was easily seen as needed because of the first Mullins injury. I’m sure the players see that we need another reliever. 

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Because the injury to Gunnar is not bad and they don't want to promote Ortiz to be a bench guy. Either that or Elias is asleep at the wheel and has no idea what he's doing, but I think the first explanation is more likely

There is no reason for Ortiz to be riding the bench. He can easily start 3-5 games a week, which is plenty to justify him being here.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Yeah... I was thinking we may entertain bringing on Goldschmidt who has another year until Mayo is ready and use our 1b resources to get some pitching.. but that would break up the clubhouse somewhat, how important do you think Elias considers that?

I think the biggest reason we will not see Goldschimidt in the O's uniform is that he makes 24M per year through the end of 2024 and O'Hearn, Mountcastle and Mayo are/will make peanuts.

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Note: Trading Ortiz means having to spend money to replace Frazier next year, which means less $ towards pitching. Unless we're going in with Mateo again next. Not sure why people are always throwing Ortiz into every trade offer he is a vital to the team until Holliday is ready and also will be vital to make sure Holliday isn't rushed.

Cesar Prieto could replace Frazier next year if they just want a lefty 2B bench bat. He’d almost certainly play better defense and be very similar offensively. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the biggest reason we will not see Goldschimidt in the O's uniform is that he makes 24M per year through the end of 2024 and O'Hearn, Mountcastle and Mayo are/will make peanuts.

Is there another 1B we'd consider that is <=> Goldschmidt's production at a lesser price tag? I think we have our 2b 3b SS of the future already here,  where else can we upgrade our offense?

7 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Is there another 1B we'd consider that is <=> Goldschmidt's production at a lesser price tag? I think we have our 2b 3b SS of the future already here,  where else can we upgrade our offense?

They aren’t looking to upgrade the offense.

7 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Mayo may be the 1B of the future.

37 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

He's not being traded and he has a no trade clause.

Ortiz will be the first guy here in September, and Mateo will likely not start another game for the rest of the season. I don't remember what the postseason roster rules are, but with Ortiz having his cup of coffee earlier this year, does he already qualify for a post-season roster spot? I could see the FO trying to limp through this situation until September, bring up Ortiz immediately and plug him in for the rest of the way, and let the Mateo situation resolve itself naturally at the end of the season. 

I just don't see any team taking him in a trade at this point because right now, he's not even good at the things he's supposed to be good at.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

O's are into a game of attrition.    They have already lost two CF.   Gunnar has a reoccurring  back problem.   He will probably be back as soon as tonight but for how long?     DFA  Mateo is probably not the smart move at this point.   Ortiz probably gets his chance before seasons end.

Mateo is currently platooning vs lefty pitchers.  Is a defensive replacement and a pinch runner.   That is a good role for him considering his number vs lefties.

I wonder what his numbers have been against lefties since April.  He has a .788 OPS vs. LHP overall, but I’m thinking it’s probably something closer to .600 since April (his overall OPS is .407 since April).

I think Mateo has had more than enough time to get his bat untracked and has been unable to do it, and he’s also shown that his defense suffers when he’s not in the lineup every day.  I don’t think the “hits well against LHP” rationale would stand up if you look at the last three months.  

I do understand why the O’s have given him every chance to regroup, but he hasn’t, and we have an excellent prospect sitting in Norfolk who could be helping us much more than Mateo is.  If Mateo is still on the roster on August 2 when the trade deadline has passed, I’ll feel that Elias is doing his team a disservice.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

I think this is BS. I have played enough competitive sports in my lifetime to know that keeping Mateo on a roster where it is glaringly obvious there is a better option available does the opposite for morale. These guys want to win. They see a guy that is hurting their chances of doing that. As much as they may like him, which I don’t doubt, ultimately the goal is winning. You don’t think the new guys aren’t thinking “Joey could be up here crushing this performance?” And that is the sentiment that will begin to permeate the clubhouse. All Hyde’s A+ clubhouse management begins to erode when players realize the #1 goal might not be winning. If Mateo is still on this team on 8/1, I think it will be clear that is the case.

Do you really think it is glaringly obvious to the vets on this club that Ortiz will be better than Mateo for the next two months?  What about his performance that MLB level would lead them to this belief?  What about the performance in the first few months of every top prospect with the Orioles would lead them to this conclusion?