Can someone tell me what Cowser needs to do better?

kidrock

It’s like people here don’t learn.  I swear, 2.5 months ago people here were losing their minds because Gunnar Henderson didn’t start fast out of the gate. 

“He can’t hit ML pitching!”

”He can’t hit a breaking ball!”

”He’s only looking to take walks, he’s not aggressive enough!”

And on and on and on and on and on and on…

And then he figured it out. And now he’s a darling. 

AND THEN LATE JULY ROLLS AROUND AND ITS THE EXACT SAME THING. 

And it’s been pointed out SEVERAL TIMES that he’s struggled when making the jump from one level to the next and that explanation isn’t good enough. As a matter of fact, the self proclaimed minor league expert can’t help himself by saying he’s hitting like Tom Shopay. 

No one learns! We just went through this with a highly touted prospect and here’s another one going through the exact same thing!  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He needs everyone to back up off him and stop acting like he should be hitting like 1941 Ted Williams from the jump. 

This led me to wonder just how long it took Ted Williams to adjust to major league pitching.  After 54 PA in the majors (Cowser has 56 now), Teddy Ballgame had a .923 OPS.   I guess he was still adjusting, because he ended the year at 1.045.  As a 20-year old.  

Yeah, I think we can forget about that comparison.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s like people here don’t learn.  I swear, 2.5 months ago people here were losing their minds because Gunnar Henderson didn’t start fast out of the gate. 

And it’s been pointed out SEVERAL TIMES that he’s struggled when making the jump from one level to the next and that explanation isn’t good enough. As a matter of fact, the self proclaimed minor league expert can’t help himself by saying he’s hitting like Tom Shopay. 

No one learns! We just went through this with a highly touted prospect and here’s another one going through the exact same thing!  

Cowser OBP: .286

Since Cowser up;
Hays: .239

Hicks: .286

Westburg: .270

Urias: .288

Frazier: .288

Mullins .311

McCann: .222

Mateo: .206

Not too worried, the team is struggling so it makes Cowser transition seem worse. Maybe fans are hoping a guy with limited MLB ABs would carry the team on his back. -- Guess Cowser is the easy guy to pick on. -- Im least worried about Cowser of all those listed above. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He needs everyone to back up off him and stop acting like he should be hitting like 1941 Ted Williams from the jump. 

Thank you.

See R., A. and H., G.

Adjustments may be necessary, Assembly may be required.

Not every prospect is going to debut like 1941 Stan Musial.

27 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I’d say that probably has absolutely nothing to do with his current struggles

Same people told me I was wrong when I said his swing is awful.  Stay tuned.  This guy has mediocre all over him.  

Someone tried to use Brooks Robinson as a comparison.  Brook was 18 when he came to the majors virtually right out of high school.  Took him four years to fill out.  Cowser has six years of organized ball since HS and he's 23.  Right now I see warning track power ant not much more.  

As far as the future is concerned Mullins wheels may be gone.  He'll run fast again but for how long?  Once these kinds of injuries start they usually continue.  

If Holliday can play short, I'd consider making Gunnar a center fielder.  

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Same people told me I was wrong when I said his swing is awful.  Stay tuned.  This guy has mediocre all over him.  

Someone tried to use Brooks Robinson as a comparison.  Brook was 18 when he came to the majors virtually right out of high school.  Took him four years to fill out.  Cowser has six years of organized ball since HS and he's 23.  Right now I see warning track power ant not much more.  

As far as the future is concerned Mullins wheels may be gone.  He'll run fast again but for how long?  Once these kinds of injuries start they usually continue.  

I like your style. Never too early for a bloody mary

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’m not sure if you are referring to me or others.  

To be clear, I said that I’m not worried about his production and that I think he will adjust.  I’m simply trying to learn more from some of the baseball lifers on here as to what hasn’t yet translated.  In no way am I dogging the young lad, nor am I worried long term.  Just trying ti figure out what he needs to work on.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing.  Couldn’t watch tonight but I know he K’s 3 times.   Stop thinking and start swinging at strikes.

His struggles are similar to what Gunnar went through. Meaning he’s just getting pitched to by MLB level pitchers. You can see the ability is there. He can identify pitches, and mostly has competitive ABs. However, just like Gunnar… there’s some swing and miss there. 

We need to not get so carried away with these player’s numbers in Bowie and Norfolk. Their offensive numbers are making people view their whole game, defense included, in a more rosey light. 

Cowser is going to be ok. He’s a short term band aid in CF. Hopefully. At the plate, I think he will start to garner some respect with the umps like Gunnar had to earn, and he’ll start to get the borderline calls more. That will help. Our whole team is just now starting to get respect. That includes the umps. See the post where Adley had was the only player in MLB in the 1st half of the season that had 50 balls called strikes on him. 

Cowser will be ok. 

55 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I believe Cowser had the longest HR that any Oriole hit this spring.  I know for sure he’s hit at least one 440+ feet.   So, I’m not worried about him having warning track power.  But I think he’ll be more of a 15 HR guy with good OBP skills than a 30 HR guy.   

Clearly, at this stage he’s not hitting the ball with authority.  In my opinion, it’s not a matter of strength, it’s learning how to time up the best pitchers in the world.  It’ll come.  

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tom Shopay vs Ted Williams.   The self proclaimed OH comedian can’t tell a joke when he sees one.   Cowser looks awful.   That can’t be argued.  I’ve said repeatedly that you can’t ignore his track record and that eventually he’ll settle in.   The question is how much rope he has and if he can settle in before Hicks and Mullins come back and take away all of his AB’s.

I know you want to come off as the voice of reason here but it’s actually a small minority who think Cowser was never any good to begin with, has a bad swing, and is now being exposed as a mediocre talent.   I never disagreed with you.   Just your absurd comparison to Ted Williams.   I came back at the other end of the spectrum with Tom Shopay.   If you can’t get that joke then it’s at least time for another cup of coffee.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltimorecuse said:

First most people are not filled out at 23. The guy produced in the minors so there’s reason to believe he will adjust. He’s hit 30 homeruns over 800 ABs in the minors so that dismisses the warning track theory. Plus his OPS was .927 and 1.000+ in the minors and college respectively.

Mullins will be traded between this off season and the end of 2024 if they are following the Rays model as they have proclaimed.

Gunnar in CF😂….We have Kjerstad, Beavers, Haskins, and Lofton comparison Bradfield. I don’t think we need to get carried away.