Offensive ups and downs

Frobby

It’s kind of amazing how the Orioles’ players’ performance fluctuates up and down, but in the aggregate the offense has been very consistent.  It seems like we are never quite clicking on all cylinders, but we always have enough cylinders to keep the engine running.  Here’s a brief synopsis:

March/April: 5.25 runs/game, 4th in the AL. Hot: Mateo (1.062 OPS), Hays (.900).  Not: Henderson (.659), Santander (.642)

May: 4.79 runs/game, tied for 4th in the AL.  Hot: Santander (1.056), Mullins (.877).  Not: Mountcastle (.710), Mateo (.316).

June: 4.50 runs/game, 6th in the AL.  Hot: Henderson (.944), O’Hearn (.867).  Not: Frazier (.623), Mateo (.500).  

July: 4.85 runs/game, 5th in the AL.  Hot: Mountcastle (1.011), O’Hearn (.893),  Frazier (.867).  Not: Mateo (.448), Hays (.446), Cowser (.372).  

Individually, it’s been a roller coaster ride; as a team, pretty much steady as she goes.  One trait I’ve noticed: it’s the most patient team we’ve had in many years.  We still have some free swingers, but for the most part, we work the count.  I think that’s one reason the offense has been consistent.  

It will be interesting to see how this holds up the rest of the way.  Hays is really slumping now and I’d love to see him bust out; meanwhile Mountcastle has emerged from a long funk and is crushing it right now.   I like the way the team meshes, and hope it continues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

To your point, I can't remember a team that uses all of its parts as effectively as this team does.  We have gotten contributions, and very timely ones, from just about everyone on the roster and our pick-ups.  Rarely do we put out the same lineup on consecutive nights and yet, we continue humming along.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s kind of amazing how the Orioles’ players’ performance fluctuates up and down, but in the aggregate the offense has been very consistent.  It seems like we are never quite clicking on all cylinders, but we always have enough cylinders to keep the engine running.  Here’s a brief synopsis:

March/April: 5.25 runs/game, 4th in the AL. Hot: Mateo (1.062 OPS), Hays (.900).  Not: Henderson (.659), Santander (.642)

May: 4.79 runs/game, tied for 4th in the AL.  Hot: Santander (1.056), Mullins (.877).  Not: Mountcastle (.710), Mateo (.316).

June: 4.50 runs/game, 6th in the AL.  Hot: Henderson (.944), O’Hearn (.867).  Not: Frazier (.623), Mateo (.500).  

July: 4.85 runs/game, 5th in the AL.  Hot: Mountcastle (1.011), O’Hearn (.893),  Frazier (.867).  Not: Mateo (.448), Hays (.446), Cowser (.372).  

Individually, it’s been a roller coaster ride; as a team, pretty much steady as she goes.  One trait I’ve noticed: it’s the most patient team we’ve had in many years.  We still have some free swingers, but for the most part, we work the count.  I think that’s one reason the offense has been consistent.  

It will be interesting to see how this holds up the rest of the way.  Hays is really slumping now and I’d love to see him bust out; meanwhile Mountcastle has emerged from a long funk and is crushing it right now.   I like the way the team meshes, and hope it continues. 

It reminds me in that way of the 1979 team in particular.. hot streaky hitters and Earl getting them in and out over 162 games to get the most productive team  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I remember Buck S saying it is a rare thing to have everyone hitting well at the same time.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Isn't this what defines a good team? This team is rather well constructed with good young players and a few solid vets. It's a "next man up" mentality.  Fun to watch.