Ben Clemens of Fangraphs: Orioles-losers at the trade deadline

Jim'sKid26

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Here's a tidbit suggesting Verlander was willing to come here but the Orioles weren't willing to give up what it took to get him. Just throwing this out there to counter the whole "his wife wouldn't want to come to the Baltimore cesspool" BS I saw getting thrown around.

I appreciate the video share.

Based on what Verlander said after the trade, it seemed clear to me that Houston was the only place he felt comfortable with waiving his no trade clause because of the friendships he still has with his old teammates. Those same teammates were texting him when all this went down. Plus his wife and kids seemed comfortable with Houston thanks to their familiarity with the community there.

I don't think there was any other place that Verlander was willing to go besides Houston. Which made a deal with us next to impossible no mater what we offered.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think its right to say that the O's lost the off season.   They did not bring in as much talent as some others.  I think its right to say that the O's lost the deadline.   They did not bring in as much talent as some others.

But the O's accumulated so much talent over the last four years of scouting, drafting high, and building a player development organization that they do not have to win the off season or the deadline.   Their players are graduating and improving at such a rate that all  Elias needs to do is acquire a few players to fill in the gaps.

I don’t think it’s fair to say the O’s “lost” the trade deadline, when they didn’t go out and make the team worse. Also, while Texas is busy, it isn’t clear they are going to be better moving forward.

The only way to “lose” the deadline is go out and clearly overpay for marginal upgrades a la the Gerardo Parra trade.