Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

There’s 20 games left and he’s a free agent after the season. Why not?

Elias isn't going to do that unless Flaherty has some off the field issue in addition to his poor pitching. Elias would at least try him out in the bullpen first. This isn't a fantasy team where the GM will just cut players for under performing.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias isn't going to do that unless Flaherty has some off the field issue in addition to his poor pitching. Elias would at least try him out in the bullpen first. This isn't a fantasy team where the GM will just cut players for under performing.

Is this the time to experiment with changing a player's fundamental role on the team?

Well, I guess Elias proved he was human with the Flaherty move but I'll still take his good move/bad move ratio any day. I'd IL Flaherty with his soreness or whatever it was a couple of weeks ago and put Means in that spot. Maybe he can soak up a few innings at the end of season if/when they have everything clinched but that's about it. 

Edited by vab

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Is this the time to experiment with changing a player's fundamental role on the team?

I'd rather have Flaherty pitch clean up out of the bullpen over running him out there as a starter. He's not getting waived it's not happening. Elias is going to have to figure something out because Flaherty is a net negative right now.

Just now, vab said:

Well, I guess Elias proved he was human with the Flaherty move but I'll still take his good move/bad move ratio. I'd IL Flaherty with his soreness or whatever it was a couple of weeks ago and put Means in that spot. Maybe he can soak up a few innings at the end of season if/when they have everything clinched but that's about it. 

I don't mind this gamble because it would have been a foolish caving into the White Sox asking price for Dylan Cease.

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Flaherty doesn't have options and he isn't going to get waived. Maybe he makes a trip to the IL.

Or DFA. 

I go back to my initial reaction to the news about his trade at the trade deadline. It was a bad trade. Jack has really only been any good for just one game the entire time he's been on the team.

Meanwhile, Showalter is going to break into the Big Leagues and become a very good player in due time for a long time.  3 for Flaherty was an over pay. 

No way that I'd trust Flaherty in a playoff game. 

I was in big favor of the Flaherty acquisition and I own it. He’s not been good, no doubt. I’m not sure how much longer they can continue to run him out there. If he’s not pitching well AND not giving length, he’s a detriment in a division title and home field advantage chase.

I’m not sure what they do going forward but I suppose this is the result of waiting until the 11th hour to acquire pitching help, when it was pretty evident that they needed it.