Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

4 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Forgive me in kind if I sound like a nosy reporter - but is there a decent chance Flaherty wants to stick around past this season?

I'll encourage him...lol...the truth is, he'll go where the money is...I have a feeling his home town team, the Dodgers may want him..they need him...but based on what I saw today, I'd SURE like to have him back...

• Thanks 1

This is a really good offseason to buy pitching and I am guessing that the costs will stay down more because of that.

Best pitcher willing to sign for 3 or less years is on the table. Flaherty, because he’s only going to be 28, probably can set himself to get more than 3 years if he ends the year strong.

But he has had durability issues the last several years, so it may be an issue for him to get a longer deal.

17 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Forgive me feeling a bit more thrilled.than many on this post...Jack is a family friend who went to the same school as my son, they remain friends... and he along with Lucas Giolito, and before that Max Fried, we had an awesome high school team..HARVARD WESTLAKE Wolverines!!! This was just what we needed.... and for my family, personally, it was a thrill for us to watch...If Jack can pitch consistently like this, I really think this team might have a shot at going deep in the playoffs...and if, somehow, Wells returns, Means returns and can give us anything decent..plus maybe D.L. Hall...look out,,

My high school teacher is the headmaster there now!

If the next 60 days go good for Wells and Means, even minus Gibson, there's Bradish-Grayson-Kremer-Wells-Means as a baseline for the '24 rotation.

If Elias wants to create an opening, maybe the move becomes not letting Wells out of the bullpen, but a bunch of baseball between here and there.     AAA guys could pitch themselves in (or back in, in Hall's case) to the picture.

28 minutes ago, theobird said:

If you didn’t think we got a pitcher that can really help this team down the stretch, then you don’t know jack. I voted the trade an A in our poll. I live in springfield missouri, and have watched him regularly from AA ball here in Springfield through his time with the Cards. When Flaherty is healthy, he’s a top of the rotation pitcher. And he’s healthy now

Sounds like he also got into some kerfuffles with fans out there over social/political issues.  Maybe he'll be like Gausman for us where he showed flashes with his first team, but puts it together after leaving.

Edited by Hallas

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is a really good offseason to buy pitching and I am guessing that the costs will stay down more because of that.

Best pitcher willing to sign for 3 or less years is on the table. Flaherty, because he’s only going to be 28, probably can set himself to get more than 3 years if he ends the year strong.

But he has had durability issues the last several years, so it may be an issue for him to get a longer deal.

When he’s healthy he’s at least a 2. I would love to sign him to a three year deal, but it doesn’t come without risk. Right now, if John Means could come back strong, We’d be set for ‘23. That’s my dream. 

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The funny thing is Fangraphs would be giving the Orioles grief if Elias traded Jackson Holliday to get Dylan Cease. 

A lot of us would have agreed with them, even those of us that wanted them to be more aggressive.

2023 Cease isn't worth six years of Holliday.

• Upvote 1