Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

3 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'd be glad to be proven wrong about Flaherty every five starts for the rest of the season.   He was outstanding today.

I think he was on a week's rest, and in general going to a six man rotation might pay a lot of dividends if Wells or Means is deemed well enough to start.

Hell, if he can pitch like today maybe they should go to a seven man rotation. 

I saw today that Flaherty left a personal note for the Cardinal manager Oli Marmol. Flaherty came up through the organization with Marmol, who now manages the Cardinals. Who athletes are as people doesn't matter in the box score, but it does make it easier to root for them. 

https://fansided.com/2023/08/03/cardinals-jack-flaherty-oli-marmol-secret-note/

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

That was a very impressive debut.  Two observations:

1.  He seems to have better slider command than just about any of the Orioles’ starters.  
2.  He has a nice, simple, compact delivery.  It surprises me that a guy with a delivery like that has a high walk rate.  

Only one game, so I don’t want to draw any big conclusions.  But he’s off to a very nice start.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Watched the replay and was very impressed.  The odd thing was when my Dad told me Flaherty was only 27, I said I didn't think so and that he was closer to his early thirties.  Lo and behold-- 27!  I was literally dumbfounded, as age is something I try to be aware of in players.  A 27-year old Flaherty changes my assessment of the trade... as he's notably younger that I believed.  Also, if he pitches well for us I'd love to see us resign him.  As Frobby said, it's one game... but maybe our guys saw something and showed him what they thought might help?  Maybe not, but it would make sense.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That was a very impressive debut.  Two observations:

1.  He seems to have better slider command than just about any of the Orioles’ starters.  
2.  He has a nice, simple, compact delivery.  It surprises me that a guy with a delivery like that has a high walk rate.  

Only one game, so I don’t want to draw any big conclusions.  But he’s off to a very nice start.  

Adding to your two...
3. He showed the ability/savvy/guts to get out of a critical jam in the first and more important, the sixth.

All these qualities should serve well as an example and model for our younger starters to emulate and learn from. Hopefully Flaherty can show the way in the playoffs too. 

3 hours ago, now said:

Adding to your two...
3. He showed the ability/savvy/guts to get out of a critical jam in the first and more important, the sixth.

All these qualities should serve well as an example and model for our younger starters to emulate and learn from. Hopefully Flaherty can show the way in the playoffs too. 

Notably, Hyde let him work out of it in the 6th.  I think he would have pulled most of our starters after the walk that loaded the bases, if not before that.  It was interesting to see Hyde give that much rope to a pitcher who just arrived here who’s had a so-so season to date.   I’m glad he did.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Watched the replay and was very impressed.  The odd thing was when my Dad told me Flaherty was only 27, I said I didn't think so and that he was closer to his early thirties.  Lo and behold-- 27!  I was literally dumbfounded, as age is something I try to be aware of in players.  A 27-year old Flaherty changes my assessment of the trade... as he's notably younger that I believed.  Also, if he pitches well for us I'd love to see us resign him.  As Frobby said, it's one game... but maybe our guys saw something and showed him what they thought might help?  Maybe not, but it would make sense.  

According to Flaherty what the O's staff  showed  him was a good game plan with a lot of knowledge of the Blue Jays players.  And Adley helped him with his ability to call a game and play defense.   But the execution of the pitches was all Jack.   There was no time after he was acquired to change his delivery or reshape any of his pitches.  Nor was  it needed

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Notably, Hyde let him work out of it in the 6th.  I think he would have pulled most of our starters after the walk that loaded the bases, if not before that.  It was interesting to see Hyde give that much rope to a pitcher who just arrived here who’s had a so-so season to date.   I’m glad he did.  

I think Hyde wanted to see what Flaherty was made of.  What Hyde said after the game was that he just needed his starter to go 6 to save the pen.  Jack showed he is a competitor that can reach for a little extra when he needs it to get out of a jam.

On this day he looked like a playoff starter.  We will see if he can continue that his next time out.

Edited by wildcard