Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

The big unknown for me today is what the entering the offseason comments will look like regarding Tyler Wells start of 2024 role.

He's proven he's a good pitcher, and I believe after the R&R he'll contribute again this year.    I know his self-image is high innings standards for himself, and think opening a season he's earned a spot.

Two, hopefully three, months of baseball is also an eternity for the health status of 5-6 length pitchers.

Gibson v. Flaherty could become the sequel to Gibson v. Bassitt....1/10 or 3/60?     Gibson has also done a lot this year to build equity with the group, but at his advanced age may not enter the Elias unfriendly multi-year contract zone.

• 2 weeks later...

His biggest issue since the injury has been his issues with getting wild at times.  It has shown its ugly head at times the last year plus.  I still thought Lorenzen was the better choice for rental but understood they wanted vet with playoff experience.  

Unless Flaherty and Gibson suddenly outpitch everyone else on the team, I don't see any reason to lock up any of our pitchers this offseason.  There will be a number of good free agents available -- many out of our price range but many good ones hopefully within it too.  

Also, Elias maybe could swing a trade for a young starter under control for a couple seasons or more.  

Too much baseball left to play this first.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Unless Flaherty and Gibson suddenly outpitch everyone else on the team, I don't see any reason to lock up any of our pitchers this offseason.  There will be a number of good free agents available -- many out of our price range but many good ones hopefully within it too.  

Also, Elias maybe could swing a trade for a young starter under control for a couple seasons or more.  

Too much baseball left to play this first.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

To me, what's frustrating about Flaherty is that he still has "the stuff" to get people out: he has that pretty breaking ball that Elias referenced and he can paint a 95 mph 4S on the black, occasionally when he needs to.

I don't know if he was being cute to avoid the meat of the lineup or if he lacked control particularly tonight (most likely the latter), but either way, you toss this one aside and hope he can eat innings down the stretch to help with the young guys being gassed (see Frobby thread) + the potential added postseason "experience swing" for a young staff. 

Either way, you still make that trade 100% of the time based on upside and what we gave up, IMO.

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I wonder if going to the six man rotation affected him?  Wouldn’t think an extra day would, but some guys do struggle with anything but the same rest every time. 

I am old enough to remember 4-man rotations. To me 6-man rotations sound just ridiculous. I am totally opposed to it.