Kangaroo court

Big Al

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

After 2 seconds.  How fast should he get from home to first?  The average time for a right hander is 4.31 seconds.  Should Jorge be there in 2 seconds?

I'm not saying he needed to be full sprint but it was clearly lackadaisical.  If you couldn't see that I can't help you.  He even acknowledged it himself. 

You'd think he would have been thrilled to put a ball in play but clearly not. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He was home to second in 7 seconds, and to third in 11, accounting for an ease up.

How fast, exactly, should he be running?

Can you show me where you got that from?

Elly De La Cruz had the second fastest time to third since 2020 earlier this season and he came in at 10.83.  If Mateo managed an 11.00 when he didn't even get out the box well and "eased up" that would be amazing.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Elly De La Cruz had the second fastest time to third since 2020 earlier this season and he came in at 10.83.  If Mateo managed an 11.00 when he didn't even get out the box well and "eased up" that would be amazing.

I just watched the condensed game on mlb.com.

https://www.mlb.com/video/condensed-game-nym-bal-8-6-23

It's 5:19-5:30.

I concede it's not the most accurate time ever but it's very close.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t know the numbers but he did in fact not sprint out of the box. Whether or not he was at 75%, 50% or 10% I think is irrelevant but he wasn’t in a full sprint.

I think the point OP was making was that when a guy has struggled at the plate as much as Jorge has the last 90+ days, if/when he makes contact he should be 100% out of the box, which I tend to agree with though I can also concede why he wasn’t given that ball is probably caught 90%+ of the time (queue whoever on the board subscribes to the advanced stats who can tell us the catch probability on that ball) 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I'm not saying he needed to be full sprint but it was clearly lackadaisical.  If you couldn't see that I can't help you.  He even acknowledged it himself. 

You'd think he would have been thrilled to put a ball in play but clearly not. 

I'm sure he hit a linedrive and was ecstatic and then saw it was directly at somebody and was despondent.  And while his emotions fluttered he ran his ass to 3b in 11 seconds.

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

I don’t know the numbers but he did in fact not sprint out of the box. Whether or not he was at 75%, 50% or 10% I think is irrelevant but he wasn’t in a full sprint.

I think the point OP was making was that when a guy has struggled at the plate as much as Jorge has the last 90+ days, if/when he makes contact he should be 100% out of the box, which I tend to agree with though I can also concede why he wasn’t given that ball is probably caught 90%+ of the time (queue whoever on the board subscribes to the advanced stats who can tell us the catch probability on that ball) 

No, the bolded is very much relevant.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

If Jorge Mateo cured cancer there'd be a thread on here the next day blaming him for AIDS.

He hit a line drive right to the CF that should have been caught 90% of the time, since it was a line drive it got past the CF in  literally 2 seconds, Mateo was not going at full speed for literally 2 seconds.  He was going  at a crisp pace down the line though, certainly not standing in the box.  Some people seem offended he didn't immediately discard his bat.  Whatever.  Again, it's 2 seconds.  The ball came into SS just as he was rounding into third- even going 100% from contact would not have made enough of a difference to turn this into an inside the park home run.

His legs literally scored that first run.  A fairly important run if I recall.

If the standard is going to be 100% out of the box every time, all the time, we're going to have a damn busy Kangaroo Court, and I'm not sure we have someone worthy enough to sit on its bench.

I did not watch it live and the replay does not show Jorge out of the box. From what I can see, I agree, I cannot see what the hullabaloo is all about. It was a hard hit ball, as soon as it gets under the CF they cut to Jorge and he is busting it toward second. There literally was not time for him to jog down the line and then stand at first like some have said. I believe he may have hesitated a bit but nothing worse than Santander does on literally every pop up or routine grounder.

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2023 at 8:43 PM, Aristotelian said:

I did not watch it live and the replay does not show Jorge out of the box. From what I can see, I agree, I cannot see what the hullabaloo is all about. It was a hard hit ball, as soon as it gets under the CF they cut to Jorge and he is busting it toward second. There literally was not time for him to jog down the line and then stand at first like some have said. I believe he may have hesitated a bit but nothing worse than Santander does on literally every pop up or routine grounder.

The real evidence is the tape.  He made it to 3b in 11 seconds.  He couldn't have been loafing too much and done that.

Edited by Pickles

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm sure he hit a linedrive and was ecstatic and then saw it was directly at somebody and was despondent.  And while his emotions fluttered he ran his ass to 3b in 11 seconds.

If after watching how the Mets play defensively all weekend he couldn't have anticipated a reasonable probability that ball wouldn't be caught he is even more of a lost cause than I thought. 

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I know what the OP is saying and I agree with it.

I'm curious where the 11 seconds came from because it doesn't seem realistic given the De La Cruz time earlier in the season.  Mateo is very fast but Elly is even faster.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know what the OP is saying and I agree with it.

I'm curious where the 11 seconds came from because it doesn't seem realistic given the De La Cruz time earlier in the season.  Mateo is very fast but Elly is even faster.

I gave you the link and the time.  You can watch for yourself.