Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

Count me in as not buying it.   

Look, I get it.  Everyone hates John Angelos for the sins of his father, mostly.  It's not hard to paint him as a thin skinned idiot who only cares about money...in fact, it's a layup.  And quite frankly, I'm not sure why any of that, if true, matters.  I'm also not trying be an Angelos Apologist either when I say that, but whatever John has done (or hasn't done) pales in comparison to whatever PGA has done to tarnish this franchise.  

But suspending Brown -who I'm admittedly not a fan of- for a comment like this doesn't make sense.  It has nothing to do with Angelos himself, it only serves to show how well the team has come along in the previous two years.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Suspended indefinitely for an inane comment? I want to say there is more this, but you never know when it comes to the Angelos family.

If he's truly suspended indefinitely, then IMO he's as good as gone. I'd tell JA to shove it up his tailpipe if he "allowed" me back into the booth. Brown has other gigs. I heard him calling a college football game last year between VT and ODU (not exactly big time CFB, but still), and I have no doubt that other MLB teams would dump their current PBP guy to bring him in. He took some getting used to, but I have grown to like KB a lot. Quirky and silly, but it's become endearing.

Anyway, this sort of BS is what scares me about Elias & Co. leaving more than if/when Big Money comes knocking. Frankly, as a Yale guy, there's almost no conceivable way he would have signed a deal that undervalued himself for the privilege of running this club and reporting to that asshat. Meaning, I'm sure it wasn't for modest money or some insanely long time without having a way out. I don't want to derail this thread to talk about Elias, but the topics are related IMO.

Edited by Sanfran327
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cravens86 said:

Hasn’t be been on the radio recently though? What would the suspension be for? Just TV? Doesn’t the team own the contracts of the broadcasters which is why they are swapped every so often on tv and radio? This doesn’t make sense 

I listened to parts of the games while in the car this weekend and I don't recall Kevin Brown calling the game on radio.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Angelos family chased Jon Miller from Baltimore. If Kevin Brown leaves the Orioles I wouldn't blame him in the least. First, in my opinion, he's the best young play by play man in the business...but more significantly, he is a hard working, dedicated, and energetic voice of the franchise. If Kevin leaves, trust me , its the fans loss.

I have to imagine he's already looking elsewhere if he's being suspended for such a petty reason.  That's a shame.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

This sounds too ridiculous to be true.  Sadly, that doesn't mean it isn't, but the supposed offensive comment can't actually be the issue.

Yeah I get the venom toward JA but the phrase in question really just doesn’t fit in the narrative.   It’s a good thing unless we know JA is extremely superstitious!

I was trying to remember which radio broadcaster (I think Geoff) mentioned the Rays jerseys one night resembling the old “Devil Rays” jerseys and how it was funny that folks used to get penalized for saying “Devil Rays” after the name change.   That would seem more believable although still ridiculous after all these years.

Just now, Hazmat said:

I have to imagine he's already looking elsewhere if he's being suspended for such a petty reason.  That's a shame.

Despite @Moose Milligan's objections I think Brown is a pretty good play-by-play announcer despite the occasional cringe cultural reference. Last thing I want is a hack like Jim Hunter back because he'll be a good company man.

• Upvote 2

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Despite @Moose Milligan's objections I think Brown is a pretty good play-by-play announcer despite the occasional cringe cultural reference. Last thing I want is a hack like Jim Hunter back because he'll be a good company man.

Well if we're comparing him to Jim Hunter, it's no question.  I think Brown is pretty average, I fail to see what makes him a darling to some around here.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I listened to parts of the games while in the car this weekend and I don't recall Kevin Brown calling the game on radio.

He was on the radio till I think last weekend. Has not been on this week.

The comment actually shows how much better the Orioles have done and on the rise  Why get suspended for that?

Didn't someone also say he got into a fight with Ben McDonald?

I know someone who knows him really well from.his Lynbrook, NY days,maybe  find out what is going on.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I thought he did some for the Phillies series from what I read on here and that was after Tampa. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if we're comparing him to Jim Hunter, it's no question.  I think Brown is pretty average, I fail to see what makes him a darling to some around here.  

Kevin Brown is good enough he's not Gary Thorne or Joe Angel, but the Orioles left to their own devices will find a replacement that is worse than Kevin Brown.

• Upvote 2