Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Of course it serves a purpose - it builds a brand, for one. Additionally, it does identify Orioles representatives. There are sometimes split broadcast games between teams or when guests are in the booth. It's perfectly fine *and* reasonable to have the brand be recognized and easily identify those that are affiliated with the Orioles. There are often pictures and video taken over the course of the game not done by the team, so it's good to have that branding recognized later on. This has zilch to do with leadership. There is so much to get on Angelos about. This isn't one of them (aside from having them buy their own gear *IF TRUE*).

"Welcome to Orioles baseball, here at Oriole Park at Camden Yards, where we're about to watch the Orioles, as you might be able to tell by all the Orioles logos on your screen. But, just in case you didn’t pick up on all of that, please also pay attention to our cool shirts..."

It's far from the most egregious thing Angelos has done (assuming this was even him), and it isn't worth getting worked up over, but I still maintain that's it's a bit silly. I suppose I should just be happy that they haven't sold the naming rights to the stadium yet. 

16 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I haven't been following this very much.  Mostly because it's drama we don't need that Angelos brought into the team out of vanity.  

Do we know when he'll be reinstated from his suspension?  

Supposed to be back tonight in Seattle. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:11 PM, Brian88 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked at all if when Brown returns to the booth that he will be instructed to act as if he just returned from vacation and make a joke about how crazy rumors start on the internet.

I guess I was right 

• Thanks 1

That is the response I would expect from Kevin Brown.  He is going to do his job and we as fans are lucky to have him.  This story will be revisited if Kevin Brown goes to another team this off season.  If John Angelos is smart he would extend him and it will make this story go away.  I am not betting on that result.

Late to the party, but finally reading Kevin Brown's tweets. Were those tweets written by Kim Jong Un? I understand he's 1 of 30 relatively easily replaceable broadcasters, and needed to show meekness in returning to the booth (even though he committed no crime), but did his statement have to be so effusive in kiss-assery?

This just shows how completely miserable John Angelos is as a person. If people feel compelled to behave like this because how you treat them, geez, you must be a special kind of a-hole.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

Kevin Brown: “The Padres are one of two teams that haven’t hit a grand slam yet this season.”

I’ve said this in other threads. He speaks things into existence for the other team waaaaay to frequently. And not the good kinds of things either. It’s like the opposite of the goal of using reverse psychology tactics.

There’s just certain things you don’t say as an announcer, and he hasn’t figured that out yet. Drives me nuts!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

I’ve said this in other threads. He speaks things into existence for the other team waaaaay to frequently. And not the good kinds of things either. It’s like the opposite of the goal of using reverse psychology tactics.

There’s just certain things you don’t say as an announcer, and he hasn’t figured that out yet. Drives me nuts!

You do realize that whatever the announcer says doesn’t affect what happens on the field, right?

It didn’t bother me at all when Brown pointed out that the Padres hadn’t hit a grand slam all year.   Just like it doesn’t bother me if an announcer points out that a certain player has done poorly with runners in scoring position.

What I tend not to like — and all announcers do this — is when it’s late on the game, the team has the lead, and the announcers start discussing what the consequence of a win will be.  (“With a win tonight, the Orioles would increase their lead over Tampa to three games.”)   I’m a firm believer in not counting your chickens before they hatch, and even though I know that what the announcers say doesn’t affect anything, I get infuriated if things then start heading south.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do realize that whatever the announcer says doesn’t affect what happens on the field, right?

It didn’t bother me at all when Brown pointed out that the Padres hadn’t hit a grand slam all year.   Just like it doesn’t bother me if an announcer points out that a certain player has done poorly with runners in scoring position.

What I tend not to like — and all announcers do this — is when it’s late on the game, the team has the lead, and the announcers start discussing what the consequence of a win will be.  (“With a win tonight, the Orioles would increase their lead over Tampa to three games.”)   I’m a firm believer in not counting your chickens before they hatch, and even though I know that what the announcers say doesn’t affect anything, I get infuriated if things then start heading south.   

Do you think any opposing announcer has said "it's been 40 years since the Orioles have won a World Series"? I hope someone has.....that means it's already been decided!