Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We forgot how long ago that Peter Angelos fired Jon Miller and there's entire generation of fans that really weren't around or too young to remember. Then, the Orioles stunk for so long that many of this generation really didn't start following the Orioles until about 2012 or so, and then the embarrassing 2018 that brought on the complete rebuild that resulted in awful records. Then you add in how good things have gone this year, and some fans don't want anything negative to come out so they defend the "Orioles" no matter what.

So when you think about it, the Twiiter/X crowd, which is mostly millennials, really don't have a grasp on how bad this family is at ownership.  

It will not surprise me that the Orioles will deny suspending him over the comments, bring Brown back, call it a scheduling decision, and give everyone a gag order on the situation and allow the winning on the field to change the conversation.

None of us want to be talking about this. This probably will be largely forgotten in about a week, though that still doesn't mean this doesn't let fans know exactly who JA is as an owner and person.

People forget how bad an owner Peter Angelos was.  A few examples:

Rochester told the Orioles they no longer wanted the Orioles AAA team after many years.

Then the team ended up as the Ottawa Lynx because the deal with moving to Harrisburg fell thru because  Peter annoyed  the Harrisburg mayor and city council. Ottawa was such a hotbed of baseball, not.

Orioles were looking for a Spring Training home for many many years ,with many negotiations failing. They trained at a facility where the equipment was outside in tents that leaked.

Many teams would refuse to  play on the Orioles minor league spring training facility because the field was so bad. I remember when Jake Arrieta brought it up and got reprimanded. 

Jeffrey Hammonds once said that in each minor league level ,they would teach you differently then the previous level.

Edited by Going Underground
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

What a bunch of people getting their panties upset !!   I have not seen ANY proof of a fact in this entire thread.  Third hand rumors by people who have no way of knowing anything are repeated and taken as facts. ............. As for that announcer, he was poor in my opinion. I don't think he added to the game- rather he was trying to interject his style and personality into it. He might have been asked to change his style, and caused an issue or pushbacked.  He does NOT have a entitled right to someone elses money and a paycheck.

Have you been living under a rock the last 18 hours?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Etch said:

NY Post has a front page article on this. Big picture of Kevin Brown with an article entitled: "Laughingstock ... broadcasters blast Orioles over play-by-play controversy."

Laughingstock team with huge payroll, in last place by 12.5 games behind the Orioles blast that team over play-by play controversy.

It is hard for me to believe there isn't more to this story (I could be very wrong here). If JA truly did base his suspension on that comment alone then, something wrong with the man. People in any business do not survive very long with that kind of trigger finger.

• Upvote 1

To go along with what others said, there PROBABLY is more to the story.  But don't bet on the rest of the story making John Angelos look any better in the situation.  Angelos could have had a bone to pick with Kevin Brown for other (similarly petty reasons) and this was the ill-timed excuse for him to take action. 

I am sure it will come out at some point, especially if Kevin Brown isn't long for this team.  

Like Frobby and others have mentioned, losing streaks have been mentioned on air before.  Other commentators have been far more critical of the team in the past.  I don't see a work environment where our announcers (including Kevin Brown) seem to perform as if they are walking on egg shells.  So there is more to the story.  Or maybe not.  Maybe John Angelos was six martinis deep in his owner's suite, upset over who knows what else and Brown was just the outlet for his aggression. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

What a bunch of people getting their panties upset !!   I have not seen ANY proof of a fact in this entire thread.  Third hand rumors by people who have no way of knowing anything are repeated and taken as facts. ............. As for that announcer, he was poor in my opinion. I don't think he added to the game- rather he was trying to interject his style and personality into it. He might have been asked to change his style, and caused an issue or pushbacked.  He does NOT have a entitled right to someone elses money and a paycheck.

Well that's certainly a hot take. 🤣

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tbone83 said:

I didn't think anyone could overreact to a nothingburger more than that idiot Seattle media guy who was all jacked up over the King Felix comment. I was wrong. Congrats, John Angelos, you are the king of the idiots.

I was thinking this.  The Mariners' radio moron looks like a choir boy compared to what that dumbass Angelos has done. 

24 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

LOL.  Generally in this business, when trusted reporters like Britt Ghiroli, etc. report something, it is true, not just crap from third hand rumors.  

Thanks for being the idiot John Angelos defender I referenced before though!

21 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s been reported in multiple outlets. The Orioles could have shot it down and they just said he wasn’t suspended and they won’t comment on personnel matters.  I hate it, but it happened. 

Do those "multiple outlets" have any vertified facts or are they just repeating the same rumors?

27 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Hey John should you be worried about your drunk ass wife

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

LOL.  Generally in this business, when trusted reporters like Britt Ghiroli, etc. report something, it is true, not just crap from third hand rumors.  

Thanks for being the idiot John Angelos defender I referenced before though!

So a reporter for the Athletic has reliable spies inside the Orioles organization.  Got it.